Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 26th, 2012 21:00

local area connection 2 network cable unplugged message

I have a dell dimension 2350 and after replacing dead power supply, now unable to get ethernet connection. I do have an internet connection though. I tried a new ethernet cable, checked all connections, and all ports (other than ethernet cabe port) seem to be working.  Checked device manger and all drivers and controllers are present.  Broadcom 440x10/100 Integrated Controller working properly.  Not sure what other symptoms to look for or what the next step is.

Thanks...... 

565 Posts

September 26th, 2012 21:00

Hi,

We can perform few troubleshooting steps to isolate the issue.

Switch off the computer then connect the Ethernet cable on the back of the computer turn on the computer and tap F2 at Dell logo for 4-5 times, there should be a window coming for system set-up , is there any LED besides Ethernet port.  Adding image as reference:

As you have informed that a new Ethernet cable has been tried, wanted to check if this cable is works with a known good computer?

Also try to uninstall and re-install the Ethernet drivers on the computer. Providing the drivers link for window XP for reference: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/dimension-2350?driverId=R64645&osCode=WW1&fileId=2731129724

Please post back with the results

4 Posts

September 27th, 2012 09:00

Had a minute to check the ethernet port per your instructions.  Definitely no LED lights!  Double checked the USB port adjacent to it, and it works fine. Still puzzled why ethernet port or drivers seems to be the only thing that ,

might have changed in this scenario and why?  Thanks for the link!  I haven't had a chance to download the drivers to a flash drive yet.  

I appreciate your help!

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

September 27th, 2012 12:00

Reboot and press F2 before Windows starts to load to open BIOS Setup. Use arrow keys to navigate down to the Integrated Network Adaptor option. Make sure that's set to "Enabled".

Be sure to save any changes before exiting BIOS Setup.

4 Posts

September 27th, 2012 14:00

Rebooted as suggested..... Integrated Network Adapter enabled in Bios Setup

4 Posts

October 1st, 2012 08:00

Ehternet drivers uninstalled and re-installed, everything still seems normal other than ethernet!

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

October 1st, 2012 11:00

You might try reinstalling the chipset driver. Assuming you're running Windows XP, the chipset is here.

Download the chipset on any PC and copy to the desktop on the 2350. Reboot the 2350 in Safe Mode (press F8 before Windows starts to load) and choose Safe Mode from the menu.

When you get to the desktop (which looks weird in Safe Mode), double-click on the chipset file. When it's finished running, reboot normally and check network connection again. If it still doesn't work, uninstall the NIC driver and reinstall it again because it might not have installed correctly if the chipset driver was missing.

It's possible you had a motherboard failure. In that case you could turn off the onboard NIC in BIOS setup and install an inexpensive PCI ethernet card, assuming you have an available PCI slot.

EDITED

4.4K Posts

May 18th, 2013 05:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity.For assistance,with same issue or a different issue,please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                                          

No Events found!