Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

December 2nd, 2014 01:00

missing file MSVCR71.dll

so, having just got my new computer, i am attempting to install all my favourite games and apps,

the computer is a dell xps 8700

graphics card:

NIVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 (4GB memory)

dirext x version=11

i am trying to play Audiosurf.

however, when i try to run the app, i get an error message box with the warning:

"The program can't start because MSVCR71.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

YES i have tried reinstalling.

Run as admin does the same (gives alert message)

i do have my old computer, and it still runs Audiosurf.

i am more sure that i am missing a video driver of some sort, rather than just a file.

i have tried installing a few that i thought might fix it, but alas..

any help is appreciated!

one thing to note, my new computer is a windows 8.1. my old one is the most updated windows 7 home premium. not sure if this has anything to do with it, but .dll files are usually system files and the two windows versions are almost completely different builds.

EDIT:

well, there is a different .exe file.

i clicked it and the app ran.

interesting that it works differently.

however, i did do some digging before i posted this, apparently this happens to a variety of games.

perhaps it would be good to get this sorted out?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 2nd, 2014 05:00

mfc71u.dll is a Visual C++ file from 2003 aka DOTNET 1.1

You have to re-enable DOTNET 2.0 to 3.5 in control panel add features to windows. And you may need to run xp compatability mode.

AND install

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5582

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2858728

• Msvcr90.dll for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008
  • Msvcr80.dll for Microsoft Visual C++ 2005
  • Msvcr71.dll for Microsoft Visual C++ .NET 2003 with the Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
  • Msvcr70.dll for Microsoft Visual C++ .NET 2002 with the Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0
No Events found!