Highlighted
3 Argentum

Re: newly reinstalled XP but no connectivity

Bev,

No luck I reinstalled XP, loaded up The Resources CD, and found the Chipset and some of the others on the list are already installed.  Does the CD install them when I start it, but not install DSS?   Maybe I need to reinstall again and load drivers entirely from downloads and thumb drive.  Is there a way to look at the drivers already installed immediately after XP installation before I do anything else?

John

My computer:  Dimension 4700, WinXP Pro SP3,  2.8gh Pentium 4 CPU, 3 gb RAM, 160 gb  hard drive, CD/DVD drive.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
9 Rhodium

John

The Dell Resource CD should not install any drivers automatically, as all the drivers must be installed, by you one at a time and the system restarted after each installation.

Maybe it's best to download the all drivers needed from Dell's Download site.

Do you have a Dell Drivers and Utilities CD?

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

I do have a Drivers and Utilities CD.  That's what I've been using. Also titled Dell Dimension Resource CD.  I think I'll leave it in the envelope next time I try this and rely on downloads.  The computer and the CDs are about 5 years old.  Maybe more recent ones are easier to use.

This is my first time reinstalling XP Pro.  I have reinstalled Win7 Pro and XP Home(a new reinstall CD that came with my netbook).  Both were much simpler processes.

I probably won't get back to this until the weekend.  I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks.  

John

My computer:  Dimension 4700, WinXP Pro SP3,  2.8gh Pentium 4 CPU, 3 gb RAM, 160 gb  hard drive, CD/DVD drive.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
9 Rhodium

John

Good luck.   emoticon.Yes.title

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

If you've loaded all the drivers, including chipset, but didn't load the desktop system software, you could try rebooting in Safe Mode (F8 before Windows starts to load). Install the DSS and then reboot normally. That usually works...

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Bev,

I had no time today, but maybe tomorrow.   I want to make sure I do this right.  So I reinstall XP by booting from the CD and reformatting the hard drive.  45 minutes later I have a hard drive with just XP and lots of empty space on it.  Next  I install DSS using a downloaded copy from my thumbdrive.  Then I should have XP, DSS and slightly less empty space on the hard drive.

How do I know that the installation of DSS worked?  How to I know that I have only XP and DSS on the drive before going any further?  This will be the 4th time in the past week I have attempted the reinstallation of XP.

John

0 Kudos
Highlighted
9 Rhodium

John.

DSS is an InstallShield program and is vital utility that provides critical updates and patches for the operating system. If you are reinstalling the operating system or updating all the computer’s drivers, it is imperative that this software be installed first.

I have no idea how to check if the DSS has installed properly, as I've never had the need too, maybe another member has the answer.

Maybe the Dell Guide for a Manual Reinstallation of XP HERE, or this interactive guide for a clean reinstall of XP HERE can help.

While installing, remember to delete all existing partitions when you are prompted, then recreate the partitions and format the hard drive, following by installing XP.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Bev,

I reinstalled XP SP2 (4th time?), carefully following the interactive instructions on About.  All seemed to go well until I reached step 18 of 34.  The instructions say: In the next window (not shown), enter the Windows XP product key.  The window requesting the product key never appeared.

I got the Computer Name and Administrator Password page and the Date and Time Settings window OK.   Step 21 of 34 says: The Networking Settings window will appear next with two options for you to choose from - Typical settings or Custom settings.  I didn't get that window,   I did not get the Workgroup or Computer Domain window, step 22.    The installation went straight to finalizing, step 23.

After restart I installed DSS from the thumbdrive.  Then I inserted the Drivers and Utilities disk which indicated all the drivers and utilities are already installed except DSS .

And there is still no internet connection.

So I guess I need to start over again, this time installing the drivers one at a time from the thumbdrive and forget the Drivers and Utilities disk.

Why is the reinstallation disc skipping some pages? 

John

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 Indium

Please pardon the intrusion, but how is your utilities disk indicating that the drivers have been installed?  Assuming that you are allowing the Drivers and Utilities disk to autorun and install its application you should wind up with an interface screen that allows you to select the computer model you are using and then select the Drivers screen from a menu at the top.  The application performs a search for the devices that are available in your computer and places a checkmark to the left of each driver that is needed.

Unfortunately, this is not installation.  You must manually click on each driver having the described checkmark, open the file to begin execution of the autoextractor, and following extraction of the files, start the installation wizard that pops up after you have indicated that the autoextractor can close.  Only then have the drivers been installed.  If you download the drivers from the support page you must go through a similar procedure to install the downloaded drivers.  Each driver must be installed one at a time, and as Bev indicated, you must restart the computer between each installation to properly update the Windows registry.

Dell Forum member since 2005

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Thanks.  But if I hover the mouse pointer over each item checked off I get a box saying the driver is detected in the PC, which I assumed, incorrctly perhaps, to mean that it is installed.   There is no checkmark by DSS and when I hover over DSS, I do not get the "detected" popup.

Also on the matter of the skipped screens, I realized my PC was still plugged into the DSL router which might cause the installation disk to skip over anything related to connectivity.

John

0 Kudos