Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

JI

July 7th, 2010 19:00

newly reinstalled XP but no connectivity

I just cleaned out my old Dell and reinstalled XP SP3.  All went well untill I tried to go on line.   The box says: No connection to the internet is currently available. etc...etc.  I try again.  I get: The page cannot be displayed.    I followed instructions and went to Tools>Internet Options>Connections>Settings. 

I can't get it to connect to my AT&T DSL.   The Dell is connected to the  AT&T router with an Ethernet wire that I know works because I use it for my laptop.  I just tested it.  What am I missing?

6.4K Posts

July 14th, 2010 13:00

If you are using a Dell labeled Windows reinstallation disk, you will not get a request for the product code.  Dell installation disks are automatically activated when used on Dell computers originally delivered with that operating system.

Also, if you are installing Windows XP Home, you will not get any questions about domains, as this feature is not available in the Home version.  If you needed this capability you would require Win XP Professional.

I don't know what to tell you about steps 28 and 29, but it is just as well since at this point you have not installed a driver for your network interface adapter.

It appears things are going well so far.

July 14th, 2010 15:00

Jack,

Thanks.  I'm installing XP Pro SP2.

What about PCMCIA for Dimension 4700?

July 14th, 2010 16:00

Hey, just thought of something- is PCMCIA only for laptops?

July 14th, 2010 16:00

Jack/Bev,

I have connectivity.  Thanks so much for your patience, leading me by the hand through this installation.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 14th, 2010 17:00

John.

:emotion-21:      :emotion-46:

Bev.

No Events found!