Not applicable

no audio after re-install, dell dimension 4700

In July between virus protection, My Dell got a virus, which made me have to reinstall everything.  Once I did, I had no audio except for a beep when mail came or I made an error. Same beep for both no other sound.
The odd thing is that I can download to cd or mp3 and it comes out with perfect sound.

Things I have checked:
Device manager:
* Other devices: Yellow Question Mark on it and the sub catagories
       -Multimedia Audio Controller:   The drivers for this device are not             installed.   (Code 28)
      -Video Controller:The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
      -Video Controller (VGA Compatible):The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

It states to reinstall driver but I do not have the install disc's.

Then I went to sound, video and game controllers.
     -Audio Codecs
     -Legacy Audio Drivers
     -Legacy Video Capture Devices
     -Media Control Devices
     -Unimodem Half-Dupleds Audio Device
     -Video Codecs

All say they are in working order, even though there is no sound.

I am at a loss, can anyone help me?  I also tried to download drivers for it, but apparently I am missing a step or two or have the wrong ones cause I still have no sound.
Thanks, Rhya  ps: not sure what a tag is to put below.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: no audio after re-install, dell dimension 4700

HERE are the drivers for the 4700 and Windows XP.

If you failed to install the intel chipset drivers, that is probably the problem.  The chipset drivers define what is on the motherboard and must be installed before installing device drivers such as the sound. 

The install sequence is (1) Install Windows (2) Install chipset drivers (3) install device drivers (such as the sound and video).

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with Gigabyte Designare Z390,  i7 8700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.6 Pro Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719DGF Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Good Morning,

I have the same problem with my E310. Will the drivers that you posted for the 4700 work on my machine?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Bree, no you need drivers for your specific model.  However do not hijack this post, if you have a problem you need to make a new post.  This is common on most forums, as I see you are a new user. 

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with Gigabyte Designare Z390,  i7 8700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.6 Pro Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719DGF Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos