Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 2nd, 2013 02:00

no speakers after windows 8 upgrade

I got a little board over the weekend, and decieded to upgrade to windows 8.  The process was smooth, and after a few hours, I sort of like windows 8...eventhough there is a lot to learn.  My only problem is that my speakers now don't work.  I updated all the drivers listed here on dell's website, and my Bose Campanion 2 speakers are not detected.  Under the sound option in the control panel it even says the speakers are not connected.  I can plug in head phones and hear sound, so at least I know audio is possible.  I also plugged the speakers into my ipad, and they worked, so I know it's not the speakers.  I also tried plugging them into the headphone jack, and that didn't work.  

I have a studio xps 9100, realtek hd soundcard.

Anyone else have this problem?  I read about other windows 8 audio problems, but not like mine.

Thanks for any help!

1.8K Posts

January 2nd, 2013 03:00

Hi jimbach13,

Dell has not tested Studio XPS 9100 with Windows 8. For more information on this you can check the link: http://dell.to/U7cW0Q . You can try uninstalling and reinstalling Windows 7 audio drivers on your computer and see if it makes any difference. You can follow the steps below to uninstall and re install the audio drivers:  

• Click on “Start” and right click on “Computer”.
  • Click on “Manage”.
  • Click on “Device Manager”.
  • Under “Sound Video and Game controllers”, you will find the audio driver listed.
  • Right click on it and click on “uninstall”. (Check and make a note of the driver installed on your system and re-install the driver from the below steps accordingly).
  • Check the box to delete the software.
  • Restart your system and click on the below link: http://dell.to/Twa5SQ 
  • Click on “Download File”.
  • Select “For Single File Download via Browser”.
  • Click on “Download Now”.
  • Save the driver on your desktop.
  • Once the driver is saved on desktop, right click on it and select “Run as administrator”.
  • Install the audio driver by following the on screen instructions.
  • Check if the issue is resolved.  

Please share the findings. 

33 Posts

January 2nd, 2013 03:00

thanks for the reply.  I will give that a try when I get home from work.  If that doesn't work, I may just go back to windows 7.

33 Posts

January 2nd, 2013 05:00

If i do downgrade to windows 7, is it as easy as doing a clean install with the windows 7 disc that originally came with my system?

33 Posts

January 2nd, 2013 09:00

Nothing worked, so I went back to windows 7...and I still have no sound coming from my speakers.  I also used the audio driver on the utilities cd that came with the computer, and still nothing.  WHen I open the sound section in the control panel, and says the speakers are connected and it has the levels going, but nothing is coming from them.  I have no idea what I did, but it is frustrating!

1.8K Posts

January 5th, 2013 06:00

Hi jimbach13,

You can follow the steps below to check if the speakers are enabled in sound properties: 

1. Click Start.
  2. Click on Control Panel.
  3. Click on Hardware and Sound, then click the Sound icon.
  4. Click on the Recording tab.
  5. Right-click anywhere in the box where the devices are listed.
  6. Click on Show Disabled Devices so there is a check mark next to it.
  7. This will display any device that has been disabled on the computer. If no new devices are found it's likely no device is being found because it's not detected by Windows. If you're having sound issues we'd suggest reinstalling your sound drivers.
  8. Right-click the new icon(s) found and click Properties.
  9. Beside 'Device usage', there is a dropdown menu. Click on 'Use this device (enable)'.

Another step you can try is to check the connections on configuring the speakers from the image below:

For more information, you can refer to link: http://bit.ly/VqFJ2T

Please share the findings. 

1 Message

February 24th, 2013 04:00

Hi Jim, 

I'm having the exact same problem, on the exact same system as you. I was just wondering if you have fixed the no sound issue yet. i still have had no luck. 

No Events found!