Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 18th, 2007 16:00

none of the PCI slots recognizes my Radeon 9250 PCI card

Hi all,

Because I want to use 2 monitors, which is not possible with the on-board video card in my Dell Dimension 3000, I bought a radeon 9250 PCI card and followed the instructions of Dell to the letter (deactivation of the intel graphics, auto-selection in the bios etc.etc).

But somehow, the card is not recognized by any of the 3 PCI slots.
Tried another card from another PC, still no success.

Thus it appears the 3 PCI slots are somehow not functioning.

What should I do to see they are actually active and or to make them function?

PS: Did already get some good advise from other users (thanks Osprey and DaGeezerUs!) when I had this appeal posted in the first-time users section, but unfortunately, none of them solved my problem thusfar

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eg teh advise from DaGeezerUS:
The 3000 is notorious for disliking PCI expansion video cards.  I wish I had an easy answer but I don't.

Here are some things to try:
Download and install the latest BIOS revision (A03)
  1. Remove all PCI Cards.
  2. Boot to bios with card out, check the system even log for any errors, then clear it (This may tell you if a MB problem was detected with the video card.)
  3. exit and power off.
  4. Disconnect power, press and hold power button to discharge the residual power in MB, then install PCI video in card slot closest to the processor.
  5. Connect power & video to new card
  6. PRAY

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dageezerus,

Knowing it is a notoriuos problem helped a litle, so thanks for that anyway.

Installing BIOS A03, and performing the recommended actions exactly like you proposed so clearly, did not help to get the Radeon activated/recognized.

PS1: I only didn't find a way to get a log from the MB, so can't say if there is/was a MB problem detected with the video card..

PS2: the only difference with the previous, at this time very frustrating, situation is that now at least a get to see my screen with the on-board card, even if I leave the radeon card in the PCI-slot (goes only for one of the 3 slots; leaving the card in one of the the other 2 slots results in not even being able to get a screen image with the on-board card). Not much use of course for my problem, but perhaps this tells you something more about what is going on (or not should I say)?

Anymore suggestions (I am praying now)?

Anieta

2.2K Posts

June 18th, 2007 16:00

Have you tried these instructions exactly? I have never done this, but it seems to have worked for others.

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_video&message.id=93965

Good luck.

8 Posts

June 18th, 2007 17:00

Amazing, how could I have missed these instructions after spending most of the day going through all the posts, ending up with the instructions below, which didn't solve my problem:

STEPS IN INSTALLING A PCI IN DIM 2200, 2300, 2350, 2400, 3000, 3100, E310

* Right click the My Computer icon

* Click Properties

* Click the Hardware tab and/or the Device Manager button

* Open the Display Adaptors. You should see the Intel video card

* Double click the listing for Intel whatever

* At the bottom under "Device Usage", click the down arrow and change this to "Do not use this device, disable"

* Click OK- Apply- OK

* Close all boxes when done

* Click Start- Turn Off Computer- Restart

* Press F2 at the blue Dell logo screen

* Down arrow to either:

Onboard Devices- Primary Video

Primary Video

Integrated Devices- Primary Video Controller

* Change yours to AUTO or PCI (whatever is listed)

* Press ESC several times to Exit and Save your changes

* As the system starts to restart, power the system off

* Open the case cover and add the PCI video card

* Connect the monitor to the added PCI video card

* Power on your computer

* Let the computer boot up and load the drivers off of the CD provided with the card

Will definitely try the quitte different one listed by you as soon as I am at my own PC again (wednesday) and keep the forum (and you) informed!

Bye, bye for now,

Anieta

8 Posts

June 20th, 2007 13:00

Also with this approach no luck :-(

Still only black screens

Anyone else the same experience and now happily using their radeon 9250 card and willing to share with me how they solved this problem?

Anieta

8 Posts

June 21st, 2007 13:00

OK, based on responses from others I have accepted that the Radeon 9250 will never work in the PCI slots of my DIM3000 and therefore just bought myself a USB VGA adapter....

BINGO! Had 2 screens working within less than 5 minutes, both on the on board video card Insert Smilies

Anyone interested in a CLUB3D Radeon 9250 PCI 128MB DDR-64BIT-DVI-CRT video card?

Unused in original box with CD, I will include a DVI to monitor adapter....

Anieta (The Netherlands)

No Events found!