Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 27th, 2011 11:00

nv4_disp.dll BSOD

Okay,

Im the owner of an XPS 410 and I upgraded the GPU to a nVidia 8800GTS about 4 years ago.  Just recently my computer has started crashing when I start a game of League of Legends. (I dont know if it happens with other games, as I've only been playing LoL as of late).   When it crashes, generally the screens flickers off and then on and I'm staring at frozen screen with confetti like colors.  At that point I have to do a hard restart, but at the load up screens, words will be 'garbled' and there will be vertical lines running through my monitor.  If the computer actually loads to the desktop without BSOD, the screen is still too jacked for there to be any use.  This is not the case in Safe Mode.  When I load in Safe Mode, I can load all the way to the desktop, but there are red dotted vertical lines that run through the screen and Im able to see what Im doing.  When I do get the BSOD, it always says error to nv4_disp.dll which would indicate a driver issue.  However, I've followed ever step here http://www.personalcomputerfixes.com/general-errors/steps-to-resolve-the-nv4_disp-dll-error/ to delete and update the current drivers for my graphics card to no avail.  The only fix is if I leave my computer off for a long time (like over night), it'll most of the time boot up normally.

TL:DR 

Comp crashes when starting LoL.  (possibly other games too, but havent tried)

BSOD says nv4_disp.dll is the problem. 

I've deleted and updated GPU drivers. Doesnt work.

Only fix is to leave computer off for long time.  Overheating issue?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

The cooling fan is probably filled with dust bunnies.

The DirectX June 2010 patch should be installed then the latest WHQL drivers from nvidia.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) - Microsoft

You download the file and extract into a folder.  Dont extract on desktop or you will be sorry.

Run DXSETUP.EXE and Reboot.

WHQL is Windows Hardware Quality Labs aka Microsoft Certfied to Run Drivers.

Products that pass the WHQL tests get to use a "Certified for Windows" logotype, which certifies that the hardware or software has had some share of testing by Microsoft to ensure compatibility. The actual logo used depends on the version of Microsoft Windows.

NVIDIA DRIVERS 260.99 WHQL XP

NVIDIA DRIVERS 285.62 WHQL  Vista/WIN7

This is the first WHQL-certified release from the Release 285 family of drivers. You can read more about this family of drivers on GeForce.com.

This driver package supports GeForce 6, 7, 8, 9, 100, 200, 300, 400, and 500-series desktop GPUs as well as ION desktop GPUs.

New in Version 285.62

13 Posts

What are the steps to downloading the DirectX June 2010 patch?  And what is WHQl?  I have looked at the cooling fans, and Ive tried to get has much dust out of them as possible.

No Events found!