Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 10th, 2013 09:00

optiplex 745 headache...no, Nightmare, with drivers

Can someone please help me, I am at my wits end with a dell optiplex 745 that I bought the other week back.  I had to reload the OS. which is XP, but have been left unable to connect to the internet.   I checked the device manager and it indicates that I need drivers for the Ethernet controller and there are also problems  PCI device, SM Bus Controller,  Video Controller and Video Controller (VGA compatible). 

At the moment I have been going back and forth to an internet shop to use a computer, using a memory stick to download what I thought was the needed drivers (I have been using the official Dell site).

I have tried to download drivers from the Dell site but each time I go home and try to download them I get a message that, “this self extracting zipfile is part of a multidisk zipfile, please insert last disk of the set” – The driver files I downloaded were the only type given on the dell site for my system.

Any help would be much appreciated as the next course of action will be to pay to get what should be a simple thing fixed.  

1.5K Posts

You will need to install the drivers correctly.  See step 5 HERE

Hi andybev1,

As you correctly identified, the issue is with the drivers. You may download the chipset driver from Here and Network driver from Here.  First, install the chipset driver followed by Ethernet driver and restart the computer when prompted.

Once the basic drivers are installed and you have internet access on your system, you may download and install the drivers from Dell Support site Here -> Enter the Service Tag -> Select the Operating System -> Download/install the drivers in correct sequence as mentioned Here.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any further questions.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 10th, 2013 10:00

If you're still having trouble downloading the drivers, note that Intel's site will have the chipset and video drivers.

Note that Microsoft is ending XP support in less than a year, so now would be a good time to consider a newer version of Windows.

Windows 8 Professional for $80.

1.5K Posts

May 11th, 2013 08:00

No.  Windows 7 is better for any desktop.  It's better than XP.  I installed Windows 7 on the Optiplex 745 and it installed all the drivers on its own after doing a custom install.  I did not download any driver's from Dell and it works just fine.  The 745 may not work with Windows 8 and you would not want to use this OS anyway.  

May 14th, 2013 09:00

Hi andybev1,

Apologies for the delayed response. It appears that either the driver files are not getting copied to the flash driver correctly or the file download is corrupt. I have given you the links after testing them myself and the files work correctly upon downloading. I am giving you alternate download links and file names so that you may download/copy them directly. The files to be copied are :

• Chipset Driver  : R132539.exe from Here
  • Network Driver : R161008.EXE from Here

If the issue persists, please try downloading from an alternate computer. You may also try disabling the antivirus program before downloading and copying the files to flash drive.

Please reply with the findings. I would be glad to help you.

May 18th, 2013 06:00

Hi andybev1,

Glad that the drivers worked for you; thank you for confirming.

I understand that a clean Windows re-install may not be a viable option at this time. You may perform the re-install in future, whenever convenient. Please feel free to reach out, if you need any further support.

It is great to see various people contributing their time and quality efforts to help other community members. I completely agree with what you stated. I've recently started posting on this forum; inspired to see the way people help each other. As a Dell representative, would also appreciate the efforts of 'Dell Rockstars', who have been strongly instrumental in helping us meet the forum objectives. I feel privileged to be a part of this wonderful community and try my best in every possible way.

Let me know if you have any further questions. Would be glad to help you.

7 Posts

May 10th, 2013 10:00

thanks everyone just downloaded all tht is needed from what you said - about to be thrown off as my time is up so thanks again and will be in touch. to tell you the outcome

7 Posts

May 10th, 2013 14:00

I tried to open the chipset first and then the broadcom network driver but as I mentioned before, I got this message: “this self extracting zipfile is part of a multidisk zipfile, please insert last disk of the set".  I do not know what to do from here.  Could it be that I downloaded it as a single file when asked rather than the other option of using the download manager?  I don’t think so but it is all that I can think of.

Any help once again would be appreciated as it is really <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed per privacy policy> me off at the moment.

Maybe I should try to download the OS again.  I don’t know why Dell does not just put these drivers on the disk that comes with the computer as I have owned a couple of

E-machines before and this is how they have the drivers on the OS disk.  I think dell should definitely do this in future.

7 Posts

May 10th, 2013 15:00

...oops I see you say windows 8!

7 Posts

May 10th, 2013 15:00

Thanks kelbear, sundeep, and rdunhill - I appreciate you taking the time to try to help me out as I am toiling here.

I think I am pretty ok at fixing things on my past computers but this one has me stumped at the moment but I get the feeling I am clsoe to an answer from what you say but it is possiblt the method I am using to do what I want done.  

As for the XP, yes, I heard they are doing away with any more help with it but it has always been a great platform for me so I think I will stick with it for as long as possible as it is very stable as far as windows go - what matches it? (this is a real question and not a statement :) )

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 11th, 2013 10:00

If Windows 8 works on a GX620 and E310, it will work with a 745.

Despite the Metro interface, it does have some improvements over Windows 7 in other areas, it's cheaper than Windows 7 and Microsoft will support it longer. You get used to the interface once the learning curve is over.

1.5K Posts

May 11th, 2013 10:00

I just bought a Windows 8 computer for my mother-in-law.  She did not like the interface so I put Start8 on it and all is well.  

7 Posts

May 15th, 2013 03:00

Thanks DELL-sundeep B, I thought I had put a thank you up to everyone - well I did but I do not see it here.  Anyway, I did evenrually get them downloaded and the video drivers.

At the moment things are going ok although I have been unable to use my Virgin protection as the anti virus will not install and even though it says that the firewall is working it us not showing the icon in the right had corner of the screen.  Anyway, I cannot be bothered reloading everything again (A clean install) at the moment so I have downloaded a trial of AVG and it seems to be working fine but in the end I am going to have to do a new install and try to put the drivers in again or maybe I will just buy windows 7 as was suggested earlier.

thanks for your help, it is great people go out of their way to help and it is appreciated.

Andy

7 Posts

May 18th, 2013 08:00

Thanks DELL-Sundeep B, yes, my thoughts exactly and it is good to know I can pick your brain if needed, thanks a lot for that.

Keep up the good work mate and have a great weekend (don't work too hard!)

Andy.

May 18th, 2013 11:00

Hi Andy,

Thank you. Have a great weekend.

No Events found!