Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 28th, 2012 18:00

optiplex 960 service tag issue

I had to replace the motherboard in one of our optiplex 960s and was able to buy a cheap one off ebay.  Now I need to change the service tag to reflect the change.  How do I change the service tag on an optiplex 960?

4 Posts

January 28th, 2012 18:00

I've searched up and down the internet but can't find a single straight answer about this.

14.4K Posts

January 29th, 2012 05:00

There is no way on a Dell system. The only time you can change a service tag is on a brand new motherboard at the very first boot.  If this does not take place then it will stay blank. The service tag is also located on a sticker on the back of your system. You will just have to manually enter it in you are wanting to use the Dell support site.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

January 29th, 2012 11:00

The service tag is for the computer, not just for the motherboard. Your service tag is the same as it was before you changed the board. It should not be changed since it identifies you and your Optiplex.

4 Posts

January 29th, 2012 23:00

I don't think you all understand.  I need to change the service tag in the bios.  Sorry for the confusion.  

14.4K Posts

January 30th, 2012 04:00

Yes, I understood and refering to my first response you cannnot change it. The only time this would come into play would be if you let the Dell site scan your system. Your orginal service tag is the one that was registered with Dell and that one would be the one you would use if you need to find drivers or such.

4 Posts

January 30th, 2012 06:00

I just wanted to reply on the replies to my original question. I decided to just suck it up and figure this one out on my own.  I was hoping to save time by getting some answers from the source. I was apparently wrong about that.  But I digress. I was able to erase and change the service tag using some utilities from dells ftp site, loaded onto a bootable jump drive.

HERE'S HOW YOU DO THIS.
Make a bootable thumdrive.  Google it.
Download asset_a209 file located on ftp://ftp.dell.com/utility/ , rename it asset (just for simplicity) and put it on your bootable thumb drive.
Boot the pc with this drive.  It'll come to a command prompt.
asset /s /d
y for yes.
This will delete the service tag. Want to change the service tag? use this:
asset /s 4SS3T4G
4SS3T4G is the asset tag you wish to use

There is no way on a Dell system.
>> I just did it last night!

The only time you can change a service tag is on a brand new motherboard at the very first boot.
>>again,I just did it!

If this does not take place then it will stay blank. The service tag is also located on a sticker on the back of your system. You will just have to manually enter it in you are wanting to use the Dell support site. The service tag is for the computer, not just for the motherboard. Your service tag is the same as it was before you changed the board.
>> I get what you're saying, that the overall system ST would remain the same, but here's the thing....  When you replace the MB, you get that previous systems service tag showing up in the bios.  Pretty simple stuff.  For appearances I think it's a good idea to change the ST in the bios and not rely on just the sticker which could fall off, tear, etc.

It should not be changed since it identifies you and your Optiplex.
>> I'm really not sure if maybe you don't understand how this works or what.  The service tag in the MB bios is going to move with the MB, unless it's changed (which I did, btw).

>>In summation, I'm sitting here looking at the fact that I made a bootable jump drive and used it to do all the things you people say aren't possible.

1 Message

March 31st, 2012 03:00

hi asset_a209.exe is removed from ftp://ftp.dell.com/utility/  and replaced by asset_a209.com

... can any one share the file... will be gr8full....

1 Message

June 1st, 2012 16:00

Just use the .com file (rename it to asset.com for ease of use). Copy it over to a Win98 MSDos USB boot disk, which you can make following this: www.sevenforums.com/.../46707-ms-dos-bootable-flash-drive-create.html

Startup in MS-DOS and run your asset.com file from there.

Usage: asset.com /s XXXXXXX

(where XXXXXXX is the new service tag name)

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 1st, 2012 19:00

Not sure but you might be able to do this with Dell's Client Configuration Utility

Dell® Client Configuration Utility lets you create a stand-alone package that you can manually run on a Dell client computer to configure a BIOS, update a BIOS, or capture BIOS settings inventory data.

8 Posts

February 24th, 2014 21:00

Not true, Dave.  Windows XP/Vista/7/8 all use the Dell service tag (or other vendor's serial number) for system activation.  Change the motherboard to one with a different service tag and guess what?  Windows 7 says you have to activate it again.  I have the exact situation on a system right now this minute with a system whose motherboard needed to be replaced because the CMOS battery circuit did not work at all.  I really need to change the service tag else I need to get yet another licensed copy of Windows 7.  If I attempt to activate Win 7 again with the product key on the system and the current Dell service tag, the activation will fail.

14.4K Posts

February 25th, 2014 04:00

Not true, Dave.  Windows XP/Vista/7/8 all use the Dell service tag (or other vendor's serial number) for system activation.  Change the motherboard to one with a different service tag and guess what?  Windows 7 says you have to activate it again.  I have the exact situation on a system right now this minute with a system whose motherboard needed to be replaced because the CMOS battery circuit did not work at all.  I really need to change the service tag else I need to get yet another licensed copy of Windows 7.  If I attempt to activate Win 7 again with the product key on the system and the current Dell service tag, the activation will fail.

A phone call to Microsoft explaining this will get it reactivated.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 25th, 2014 08:00

Dell boards are locked with SLP but only at the factory.  Spare parts sent out usually do not have any tag on them.  Older Dells can change the service tag with a dos utility.  Newer ones will let you change this one time via cmos setup IF there is no tag present.

You only get pre activation if you use DELL recovery media.  There are Fake Media out there that people sell on ebay that is not actually from Dell and therefore needs reactivation.

However in the case of WIN7 needing reactivation you can just change the KEY to what is on the COA as long as the version of windows is the same aka Home or PRO or Ultimate.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 25th, 2014 08:00

Change the motherboard to one with a different service tag and guess what?  Windows 7 says you have to activate it again. 

That's interesting; I thought Dell boards activated via System Locked Preinstallation (SLP)?

No Events found!