Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 18th, 2015 10:00

optiplex GX270 video drivers for XP

I reloaded an optiplex GX270 with XP SP3 to replace another machine that for some annoying reasons has to have XP on it (an old piece of hardware needs to be supported and has no drivers after XP).

Anyway, I ran into problems that others also have and got through it not seeing the network card or sound.   However device manager is still reporting no video driver.

When I open the box, there's a DVI board that says:

Silicon Image

Sil 164 Carrera ADD Card

Sil-SC-0034C Rev 1.3

Entering the asset tag shows this machine originally shipped (assume it's the same one still in the box)  with:

8M206

Adapter, Graphics, Digital video Interface, LPF-BRKT

Nothing else on the manifest shows video but not sure how many configurations this box might have shipped with.  I really don't care about the DVI port anyway as I only have something hooked up to the VGA port.  I can install that driver if need be but is really a don't care.

Anyway, XP Device manager currently shows a yellow question mark for "Other Devices" Video Controller (VGA Compatible).

Without a driver, I can't set the resolution to anything past 640x480 (16 color)

I tried looking at the list of drivers to guess the most appropriate one and tried the one below only because it didn't seem like a fix for something and it mentioned dual DVI/VGA in it which is definitely what this box has.

R253949.exe

and labeled:

ATI 64MB PCI-Express x16 (DVI/TV-out) Radeon X300 SE, 128MB PCI-Express x16 (Dual VGA or DVI) Radeon X300, v.8.263.5.1-060607a-035600C, A02 ATI 64MB PCI-Express x16 (DVI/TV-out) Radeon X300 SE, 128MB PCI-Express x16 (Dual VGA or DVI) Radeon X300, v.8.263.5.1-060607a-035600C, A02

Anyway, running that program seemed to basically just abort (maybe because it wasn't the right one), but definitely didn't solve the problem of not seeing a driver in device manager.  I even tried another setup under a driver directory that got created.

Any ideas on what video driver I really should use?   I can try them all but have seen other posts about people getting in trouble when using the opposite port (DVI vs VGA) that has become the "active" one based on drivers.   Just thought I'd reach out first.

Thanks!

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 19th, 2015 11:00

Silicon Image isn't a card at all its a passthru.

8M206 is just an onboard INTEL to DVI pass thru.

Silicon Graphics Sil 164 Carrera DVI-D AGP

7 Posts

January 20th, 2015 01:00

So basically the "VGA" driver I loaded should handle setting anything on this Silicon Image "pass through" board?  The picture you posted definitely is the board I see in the system.

7 Posts

January 18th, 2015 15:00

I went ahead and tried R79733.EXE (Intel 845 G/GL Integrated Video, Springdale G Integrated Video, Intel Grantsdale G Integrated Video, v.6.14.10.3762, A00)

and it seemed to work for VGA--can configure different settings now.

So I'll ask a followup, is there a special DVI driver for this Silicon Image card?   I'm guessing the ATI and/or the nVideo/GeForce ones are for some other configuration that Dell sold sometime?   I didn't see anything that specifically mentioned Silicon Image that I should load should I want to use that connector on a better monitor.

1 Message

February 5th, 2015 21:00

thakns

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 6th, 2015 04:00

I'd advise installation of a Virtual Machine on a modern computer opposed to resurrection of such an old PC. See here for example where I use VMware Player to install software to control hardware:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/installation-of-windows-and-linux-on-a-virtual-machine-using-vmware-player/

No Events found!