Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 12th, 2014 11:00

optiplex gx260 need to wipe computer

help! was running winxp and computer crashed three days before support ended. Did a f8 and got options...none of which did what they were supposed to do. Advanced options had no "repair computer"  nor factory restore. Control f11 did nothing either. So I really want to do factory restore but am told I need recovery discs? Well don't have them. Where do I get them in Victoria BC.? free right? Im really struggling guys...doing stuff on a tablet doesnt substitute for a desktop. My puter is optiplex gx260 and was running Windows xp pro. Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 12th, 2014 18:00

Can you be more specific about "crashed"? Do you know if this is software or hardware issue? If you had a hardware failure, you need to fix that first.

You need to press Ctrl-F11 as soon as you see the blue stripe with white lettering at top of the screen during boot. It may take a bit of practice to get it to work. But, if you ever reformatted or replaced the drive, you've lost access to the restore partition.

If Ctrl-F11 doesn't work, reboot and try "last known good" from the F8 menu.

If neither of those work, you'll have to get a Win XP Installation disk. You need to get the same version of Windows as was installed by Dell, eg Home, Pro, MCE. If it's not a Dell OEM XP Reinstallation disk, you'll also need the product key from the sticker on the PC to activate Windows after it's installed. So make sure the sticker is readable, but the disk still has to match the version that Dell installed to use that product key.

OEM disks are available on eBay, or maybe you know someone who has the right version and can lend you the disk. Dell no longer supports XP so they won't send you the disks.

Keep in mind that using PC Restore (Ctrl-F11) or doing a clean install will wipe everything off the hard drive so your personal files have to be backed up on external media first, and you'll need the product keys and installation disks for any software you added (eg. Microsoft Office). And remember, the Windows Installation disk only installs Windows, so you'll have to install all the drivers -in the right order- after installing Windows and then Service Pack 3, if not on the installation disk. Good tutorial here: http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/

If your files aren't backed up, you probably need to install this hard drive in another computer as a secondary drive or in an external hard drive case so you can retrieve your files before you go further.

Since XP is no longer supported, have you considered buying Win 7 and installing that?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

April 13th, 2014 14:00

Control F11 only works on Dimension Models not Optiplex.

Windows XP Home or Windows XP Pro CD from Ebay would work.

You will have to manually download the drivers or find a GX260 resource CD on ebay as well.

4 Posts

April 13th, 2014 16:00

Sorry I believe it's hardware. Thanks for help.

4 Posts

Well that does help...at least won't waste time on f11...but really? To wipe computer back to factory settings I have to get a win xp pro cd? I. Just want to put it back..not restore windows xp. Thinking Ubuntu until I can afford upgrade as I'm on disability. 

4 Posts

Oh thanks btw...appreciate all help.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 13th, 2014 19:00

Sorry I believe it's hardware. Thanks for help.

What hardware? And if it's hard drive, you have only one choice, replace the drive and install XP from a Windows Installation disk. And the disk has to be XP pro since it appears that's what Dell shipped it with so you can use your existing product key.

No Events found!