Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 15th, 2012 02:00

quadro nvs 295 crash on windows 7 64bit

Hi,

I am incurring on a very disappointed problem with NVIDIA Quadro NVS 295 on my Dell Precision T1500 (Win7 64bit)

Every 2-3 days my screens (dual monitor) start flickering with some red and blue lines. The system freeze and I have to manually shut down the machine.

Video BIOS Version: 62.98.75.00.08 (updated recently but it did not solve the problem)

Video Driver Version: nvlddmkm 8.17.12.7642 (ForceWare 276.42) / Win7 64

Anyone is having the same issue?

Thanks in advance

Omar

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 15th, 2012 04:00

Those kind of artifacts indicate overheating GPU.

11 Posts

February 15th, 2012 06:00

wow... I thought the precision T1500 was a WORKSTATION and I should not have any problem watching video using flash.

I think I need to change brand for my next desktop!!!

11 Posts

Well, I am a software developer and I should not need so much power from a graphic card to make it overheated...

And also it is happening only in the morning while I am browsing the web.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

Video artifacts are GPU heat related UNLESS they stay forever in which case they could be monitor related.

Playing Youtube Videos in flash Or DVD MOVIES and other things that need the gpu will cause the issue to return.

Fan slowed or stopped completely filled with dust bunnies.

10 Posts

February 19th, 2012 19:00

I have a similar problem, but without the red and blue lines.  The screen just flickers and freezes.  It only happens when I do a cold boot, and it occurs randomly with no specific application running. It always happens after waking up from sleep mode. Sometimes it happens during startup. Does not happen after I force shut down and reboot using "open windows normally" during restart.  RIght now I just keep the computer running 24/7.

Win7 64 bit on Precision T1500

NVIDIA Quadro NVS 295  Driver 8.17.12.7628

11 Posts

February 20th, 2012 05:00

Yeah,

basically I do not have just red and blue lines but the screen appears just "crazy", flickering, changing lines colour, ecc... and finally freezes.

In my case the problem happens only in the morning in about 2 hours from the boot. Once I do a manual shut down and restart the desktop everything seems to work until the evening with no issue.

I think I have to keep it running 24/7 too...

12 Posts

March 22nd, 2012 10:00

If I search NVIDIA for updated drivers:

www.nvidia.com/.../indexsg.aspx

It comes up with these dated 2/22/2012.

www.nvidia.com/.../quadro-tesla-win7-winvista-64bit-295.73-whql-driver.html

Anyone try those to see if they help?

12 Posts

March 22nd, 2012 10:00

I have the same problem and its getting worse. Dell Precision T3500, Windows 7 64-bit, NVIDIA Quadro NVS 295. After a random period of time while working on it locally, some lines/flickering appears for a second - then BAM the entire computer is completely locked up with the screen still displaying a scrambled version of itself. It has to cold boot.

Used to never happen, then after upgrading to IE9 every few days, then after some Win7 updates multiple times a day - which is what it does now every day. Yesterday was the worst, crashed 6 times. Had unsaved work 3 times that I lost.

If I use Remote Desktop to use the computer with my laptop, instead of using it locally on my monitor, I can work all day and no problems. I can leave it running 24/7 without any problems as long as I'm not physically using the monitor and keyboard.

Seems like a video driver or failing video card problem. ???

12 Posts

March 22nd, 2012 11:00

I opened up the case, took the card out and cleaned it off with compressed air. There wasn't any noticable dust on it (although there was dust on other stuff inside the case).

I checked the air flow, and it seems like it has tons of it. Doesn't seem to be any heat inside the case at all.

I also installed new drivers. We'll see if any of that helps.

10 Posts

March 22nd, 2012 20:00

I installed the latest drivers from NVIDIA and that did not help.  I also updated my BIOS from Dell and that did not help either. So I just leave my computer on all the time and turn off the monitors at night.  The problem only occurs when I do a cold boot. Apparently HP has a BIOS patch that addresses the problem.  I am going to see if it will work with my Dell.  This is definitely not a cooling problem.

12 Posts

March 23rd, 2012 11:00

Cleaning the inside of the case, reseating the card, installing the latest drivers from NVIDIA, and updating the BIOS (as recommended from Dell support) has not helped for me either.

Doesn't matter if I run the computer 24x7 or not, although accessing and using the computer from another machine via Remote Desktop (instead of using the monitor) seems to prevent it from crashing. I assume that's because the video card is not being used.

Yesterday, only crashed once at the end of the day. Today already crashed twice this morning.

10 Posts

March 25th, 2012 08:00

I used a flash utility from HP for  the NVIDIA Quadro NVS 295 to update the BIOS on my Dell.  IT WORKED. I wonder Dell does not have the same utility on their website?  Here is the link.

h20000.www2.hp.com/.../SoftwareDescription.jsp

12 Posts

March 25th, 2012 15:00

Dell support helped me get rid of the old driver and get the new one installed properly. It appears it now works on my system too.

I reflashed the Dell BIOS (probably not required - don't know), ran the Dell diagonistics in BIOS (didn't find anything) booted into VGA mode in Windows (hit F8 when starting up - don't use Safe Mode must use VGA mode).

Then remove the NVIDIA driver using Control Panel Add/Remove Progams AND use Device Manager (My Computer > Manage .. etc.) to uninstall the NVIDIA driver. Reboot back into Windows in VGA mode again.

Make sure the VGA driver is being used in Device Manager - not the NVIDIA driver - it needs to be gone.

After that is confirmed, install the NVIDIA driver from scratch. Tell the NVIDIA installer to do a clean install (I think you have to select Custom and check the checkbox for clean install that flashes or whatever). I just installed the driver only with a clean install.

After it reboots, check in Device Manager to make sure it is using the new driver (not an old one).

It appears that may have finally fixed the problem for me. I haven't had any crashes yet. Still waiting to see if any come back.

12 Posts

March 26th, 2012 14:00

Okay, this is my last follow up. I can confirm (at least in my case) that the video crashing was resolved by properly updating the NVIDIA driver (which neither Windows Update nor the NVIDIA installer previously accomplished) and flashing the Dell motherboard BIOS to the most recent version (not sure if required, but perhaps so, and seems beneficial in any case). Hope this helps.

11 Posts

April 4th, 2012 09:00

Hi tried what lantram said but things are getting even worse. Today has crashed 3 times!!!

No Events found!