Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 15th, 2012 02:00

quadro nvs 295 crash on windows 7 64bit

Hi,

I am incurring on a very disappointed problem with NVIDIA Quadro NVS 295 on my Dell Precision T1500 (Win7 64bit)

Every 2-3 days my screens (dual monitor) start flickering with some red and blue lines. The system freeze and I have to manually shut down the machine.

Video BIOS Version: 62.98.75.00.08 (updated recently but it did not solve the problem)

Video Driver Version: nvlddmkm 8.17.12.7642 (ForceWare 276.42) / Win7 64

Anyone is having the same issue?

Thanks in advance

Omar

10 Posts

April 5th, 2012 10:00

Lantram post of 03/25 worked for me. He had Dell support walk him through the process, so maybe you can try that.  I now have NVIDIA driver version 8.17.12.9573 installed with Dell Bios version 2.4.0.  I also had to fix errors on my hard disk, probably caused by numerous crashes. Right click on your drive and run error-checking under Properites/Tools. Computer has not crashed in the past seven days since I did this.

10 Posts

April 6th, 2012 06:00

One day after I posted that my problem was solved, my machine froze again during start-up.  Oh well.  Looks like I will wipe the slate clean and try doing a clean re-install when I have a free weekend to load everything.  Or maybe just replace the NVIDIA NVS 295 with a card from a different company.

10 Posts

April 6th, 2012 06:00

Lantram - is your machine still working?  I followed your process and it worked for about one week. Then it froze on start-up today.

12 Posts

April 6th, 2012 09:00

Ironicly, everything worked for me about a week as well, and then started crashing again. Less often, slightly different (not so much a scrambled screen but a bit scrambled with partially painted remenents), but still a complete lock up requiring a cold boot to get the computer restarted. I don't have any other machines that lock up like this. IMO, it has to be something either inheritly wrong with the video driver (no matter how updated), or with the integrity of the video card. It is the equivilent of the "blue screen of death", but no blue screen, and a quicker more solid death. The only thing that can do that is hardware, or software that has direct access to hardware (which is a driver).

April 7th, 2012 18:00

Same exact problem here!

I have DELL T3500, Quadro NVS 295 card and two ASUS UW224U monitors.

I run Windows XP and everything was fine.

I then upgraded to 12gig memory and installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

As I mentioned, I experience same exact problem, sometimes once in 3 days, sometimes several times a day.

Video Bios 62.98.56.00.11

Michael 

12 Posts

April 8th, 2012 02:00

It's very disappointing, because there is some sort of issue here. Has to be a flaw in the driver (no matter how updated as of the moment), or the bios that does a bit of communication, or the hardware doing the grunt work and feeding stuff back. The solution I originally pointed out, which Dell Support essentally walked me through, does minimize the issue, but only kinda, only a bit. It changes it. The ziggy screen doesn't happen now. I get more of a black screen painted with artificats. Well, the hardware didn't change, so what did? The driver software. So tell me where the problem is. And there's no way to 100% resolve the issue, without replacing the card -- which is dual HDMI, and quite expensive in the entire scheme of things. So very disappointing.

April 8th, 2012 06:00

>So tell me where the problem is.

In my case, hardware did not change, so I blame small software company out of Redmont, WA.

First, file permissioning went nuts after Windows 7 upgrade - Microsoft does not consider it a bug.

And now this video issue.

More things change, more they stay the same.

10 Posts

April 8th, 2012 09:00

It is interesting that I did not have the problem until several months after I bought the machine, so I suspect it was one of the automatic Windows updates  I don't know enough to figure this out, but I wish I had done a system restore when it first happened, but I am sure that restore point is long gone.

12 Posts

April 8th, 2012 11:00

Ditto. It was after some sort of automatic update that the problem started for me as well. That's why I briefly mentioned it. In any case, no matter who caused it or where the root of it is, it is apparent I'm not alone, and there's a very nice expensive computer sitting here, with a relatively expensive dual hdmi video card stuck in it, that has the world DELL on the front - that isn't working properly.

1 Message

April 10th, 2012 19:00

i have the same issue. anybody there have a fix that works? 

April 10th, 2012 21:00

I hung for 30 minutes with Dell techie who suggested to upgrade bios to A14 on my Dell T3500 and then to

re-install video driver, which I did. To no avail.

Here is one solution I am strongly considering :

www.tigerdirect.com/.../item-details.asp

Michael

12 Posts

April 11th, 2012 01:00

Dell is sending a new video card to me, supposed to arrive tomorrow via FedEx, to solve the issue. The link from Michael above looks enticing. I'd try it given no other choice, but I'll try the replacement first.

12 Posts

April 11th, 2012 20:00

I got the replacement card today. Problem is, it's worse than the one I have now. It totally illustrates all of the stuff everyone has been talking about. I'll have to take a video of it or something. After 6 attempts to cold boot into Windows, I had to pull it out, and the fins were HOT to the touch. I put the old one back in, which I'm using now and runs ice cold.

April 11th, 2012 20:00

They are doing the same for me, sending in another card. I asked which one... its the same exact

nvidia quadro NVS 295, so I am very optimistic... not.

10 Posts

April 12th, 2012 11:00

Thanks for the update.  I am going to call Dell Support just to have my problem assigned a case number.  I don't expect them to fix the problem based on your (and others) experience.  But at least another person will have called them with the problem.

It seems that my machine only has the problem when I do a cold start or restart.  Once it crashes and I manually shut it down and power it back up in "start windows normally" mode, everything is fine.  So it really is starting to seem like a problem with Windows 7 for me.  I left the machine on for several days and did not have the problem.  Then I had to restart to finish an Adobe update and it froze again.  I also disabled sleep mode and just turn off my monitors at night.  Sleep mode always causes it to freeze.

No Events found!