Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 15th, 2014 21:00

"Hardware-assisted virtualization not enabled" Opti 780 DT, Intel E8400, Win 7 Pro 64-bit

I have an Optiplex 780 Desktop with an Intel E8400 processor running Win 7 Pro SP1 64-bit, with 8GB RAM and a 750GB hard drive.

Wanted to try to use XP Mode for the first time and so checked the hardware with MS's havdetectiontool.exe.

It says "Hardware-assisted virtualization is not enabled on this computer".  But this is wrong.

In BIOS, I have ENABLED "Enable Intel Virtualization Technology" and "VT for Direct I/O".  Following various posts, I have NOT enabled "Trusted Execution Technology".  I got the error message with both BIOS A04 and now BIOS A15.

The Intel Processor ID Utility says "Intel Virtualization Technology: Yes"
"Intel VT-x with Extended Page Tables: No".

I also did a complete reboot with Shutdown - wait - remove AC cord - wait - press front button for a while - wait - AC back in - start up.

So what to do?

Thanks.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 15th, 2014 23:00

VT-X no = Virtualization not enabled.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977206

Windows Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode are supported only on computers whose processors have the feature enabled. Therefore, if your processor does not support the feature or if this feature is disabled, you cannot start any virtual machines in Windows Virtual PC.Use the Microsoft hardware-assisted virtualization detection tool to determine whether your processor supports the HAV feature. To download this tool, visit the following Microsoft Web site:Download the Microsoft hardware-assisted virtualization detection tool

Known issue

After you install this update, you may be unable to copy and paste files between Windows 7 and Windows XP Mode (or any other virtual machine). To work around this problem, copy and paste through the shared Windows 7 drives that you can access from the virtual machine. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Make sure that you enable the Integration Features in the virtual machine. For more information about how to enable these features, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
  2. In the virtual machine, open Windows Explorer and then copy or paste files between a drive of the virtual machine and the shared Windows 7 drive.

Note A shared Windows 7 drive is displayed as on .

309 Posts

October 16th, 2014 07:00

Speed - you're everywhere - like my guardian angel!  (Sorry - bit corny.)

First, thanks for explaining that "VT-X no = Virtualization not enabled."
HOWEVER, since my processor is an E8400, shouldn't this result be a YES and not a NO?  Is there something wrong with my E8400 or something connected to it?  Wasn't virtualization part of the Dell offer for Opti 780s with an E8400?

Second, the MS kb article is mighty confusing - those folks at MS sure don't know how to write.  But it says what I have pasted at bottom of this thread.

Since I have SP1 already, it seems I already have this MS kb download installed, yes?

Thanks again, Mr. Speed!!

Note This update is included in the Windows Virtual PC package for Windows 7 Service Pack 1 systems: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=3702

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 16th, 2014 08:00

The VT-X and or VT-d parameters are switched on or off in BIOS as is NX aka execute disable bit under Security.  ALL 3 must be ENABLED under virtualization and NX aka execute Disable Bit must be ENABLED in security.

http://ark.intel.com/products/33910

Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x)
Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d)

309 Posts

October 16th, 2014 09:00

Speed - thanks so much.  BUT THAT'S EXACTLY MY PROBLEM.

In BIOS, I have ENABLED "Virtualization" and "VT for Direct I/O" exactly as you indicate, and DISABLED "Trusted Execution".

But it don't work, man.  I still get the error message in my first post above in this thread: havdetectiontool.exe (from MS) says "Hardware-assisted virtualization is not enabled on this computer".

Why no work?  Why me?  Aaargh !!!

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 16th, 2014 09:00

You cannot DISABLE Trusted execution or NX under security or you have DISABLED Virtualization.

With 64 bit versions of windows this is REQUIRED not optional.  

309 Posts

October 16th, 2014 10:00

Speed:  If I enable Trusted Execution, then havdetectiontool.exe gives me a different error message that hardware virtualization won't work with Trusted Execution turned on.  

That was when I had BIOS A04.  Haven't tried again since I upgraded to BIOS A15.

Also, a number of other forums indicated that this was a known conflict problem between Intel E8400 and MS's virtualization and that it would work if Trusted Execution were turned off.

Further thoughts?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 16th, 2014 10:00

Then turn Trusted off but turn NX ON.  NX is under SECURITY not Virtualization.

Otherwise called EXECUTE DISABLE BIT.

If it still doesn't work then its up to microsoft to answer.

Could be an ERRATA with specific Bios and or CPU.

Pentium DUAL CORE is not the same as CORE2 DUO but they can have similar names.

What is the "S Spec" part number of the CPU?

1 Message

January 23rd, 2016 16:00

Bless you for this answer!  As soon as I turned Trusted off the VMs are working like a charm. Cheers mate.

No Events found!