deftoner08
1 Copper

"Issue installing HECI" message upon boot up

Hello,

I am currently getting the following error message on our Dell Optiplex 980 machines at boot up: "Issue installing HECI"

The machine takes about 10-15 minutes to boot up and the fans spin loudly. Eventually the system boots up.

Our Dell Optiplex 980 machines are running Windows 7 32 bit SP1.

-I have tried downloading the INTEL HECI AMT update from Dell's web site but the update says that "the system does not meet the minimum requirements for the update."

-I have downloaded updated Intel Chipset drivers

-I have updated the BIOS

-I have run Dell diagnostics and everything comes up ok.

Any one have an idea of what could be causing this issue and if there are any possible fixes? Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
speedstep
6 Thallium

Re: "Issue installing HECI" message upon boot up

The HECI driver and LMS are needed whenever you may need to do anything locally on the AMT machine

( such as storage, agent presence, and general info).

For additional information:

Intel AMT Architecture Guide, Intel AMT SDK Start Here Guide, Storage Design Guide

7/6/2011  9:02 AM     11235976 Intel_AMT-HECI_A05_R304259.exe

Intel AMT HECI, v.6.2.0.1022 , A05
Unified Driver 6.2.0.1022 PV
Systems Operating systems
Latitude E4310
Latitude E6410
Latitude E6410 ATG
Latitude E6510
OptiPlex 980
Microsoft Windows 7 32-bit
Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit
Microsoft Windows Vista 32-bit
Microsoft Windows Vista 64-bit
Microsoft Windows XP
Microsoft Windows XP x64

Fixes and Enhancements
*Add support for Microsoft Windows 7 SP1.
*Fixed issue where system hangs on sleep transitions when ME is enabled.
*Supports 6.2 MEFW branch which adds support for new features such as Host Based Provisioning

Hard Drive Installation (via WinZip) with Setup.exe File for Intel_AMT-HECI_A05_R304259.exe

Download 

1.Click Download Now, to download the file.
2.When the File Download window appears, click Save (Windows XP
users will click Save) this program to disk and click OK. The Save In:
window appears.
3.From the Save In: field, click the down arrow then click to
select Desktop and click Save. The file will download to your desktop.
4.If the Download Complete window appears, click Close. The file
icon appears on your desktop.

Install

1.Double-click the new icon on the desktop labeled Intel_AMT-HECI_A05_R304259.exe.
2.The Self-Extracting window appears and prompts you to extract or
unzip to C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R304259. Write down this path so the executable (I.e.
Setup.exe) file can be found later.
3.The Self-Extractor window appears.
4.Click OK.
5.After completing the file extraction, if the Self-Extractor
window is still open, close it.
6.Click the Start button and then click Run.
7.Type C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R304259 in the Open textbox and then click OK.
8.Follow the on-screen installation instructions.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Highlighted
deftoner08
1 Copper

I tried installing that update and it told me that "the system did not meet the minimum requirements for the update." Any ideas of what to do next?

0 Kudos
speedstep
6 Thallium

Chipset Drivers should be installed BEFORE the Intel AMT Host Embedded Controller Interface (HECI) Drivers.

Install should be run as Administrator.

AMT Must be enabled in CMOS.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
gadhafypm
1 Copper

there is no AMT option available in the BIOS

0 Kudos
JM99
1 Nickel

I think the op meant "Factory-enabled" - i.e., AMT must be enabled and supported as part of the package you paid for on your particular system(s). There are about 5 settings from the factory: AMT Enterprise mode, Small Business mode, NO AMT, etc.

The WHOLE things with AMT/HECI/SOL/LMS/vPro is VERY & unnecessarily CONFUSING! *IF* there must be a 'specific order' of install, THEN "DELL" should ENFORCE THAT - NOT wait for ITS USERS TO FIND OUT THE HARD WAY! Same way with some 'vague requirement mentioned in the depths of another Dell or Intel doc' that said, "FIRST, ".Net 1.1 must be installed *BEFORE* you do the MEI or SOL/LMS or..." [really, I don't remember the specifics] but it was indicating that, if you DON'T do the .Net piece FIRST, then you are hosed, as far as AMT / HECI (if I am remembering right).

I am (we are) having similar issues with Dell 760/780/790 machines that FULLY SUPPORT AMT/HECI/SOL/LMS/vPro AND we purchased those options, and inside the case, when you slide it off, says AMT-vPro Option 1, which means ENTERPRISE MODE and yet, NOBODY has yet come up with a DETAILED, STREAMLINED set of step-by-step instructions to Install the AMT/HECI/SOL/LMS piece, without getting these ridiculous errors!

I go to Dell, type in model #, Svc Tag, it lets me pull down the LATEST HECI/AMT, chipset, etc, but says NOTHING ABOUT, "Oh, BTW, you MUST install the chipset piece first," nor any other 'order-specific pre-reqs.' This is UTTERLY RIDICULOUS!

I have the latest A13/A12/A11 BIOS for 760/790/780 Dell workstiions; when I install ONE of the pieces that Dell lets me download - the MEI piece(?), it installs, but then the HECI piece gives a similar warning to what you mention.

PLEASE, PLEASE *** PLEASE *** someone at Dell or someone else, *PLEASE* create for the Opti 760, 780 and 790 machines a set of ** [ PRECISE ] ** steps to install the AMT/SOL/LMS/HECI pieces, along with the CRYPTIC, "order-specific" pieces, like (execute this: DELL\DRIVERS\R304259.exe), and THEN this: ... etc.

Can you feel me? I mean, it REALLY does NOT need to be THIS difficult for the [PAYING] customer to figure out how to install the requisite pieces to fully take advantage of the AMT/SOL/LMS/HECI features of the 760, 780 & 790 workstations (fyi, we are moving from XP Pro SP2+ to Windows 7 Pro SP1 32-bit, fyi - for our users - though we techs have Win 7 Pro 64-bit version).

BOTTOM LINE: DELL'S PRODUCTS *SHOULD* INSTALL *WITH* PROPER WARNINGS OF *PRE-REQUISITES THAT ARE NEEDED (not just "generic failure errors); AS WELL AS 'ORDER-SPECIFIC' NEEDS - i.e., if the Dell SOL/LMS piece REQUIRES the HECI driver be installed FIRST, then *THE SOL/LMS/MEI SOFTWARE INSTALL* shoud CHECK and say, "Hey, buddy, you cannot install this until  you first install the HECI Driver R304259.EXE" - I mean, really, how SIMPLE is that?!?!?!?!?

If someone can point me to exact steps to try, I will be happy to follow them and give feedback as to whether or not the steps work. Again, it is *** V-E-R-Y *** confusing as to 'which' piece the chipset update has, vs. which piece the other BIOS-related updates have, vs. WHICH "order" they need to be instaleld in, vs. any additional (.Net ??) requirements must be met BEFORE or 'in conjunction with' installing the specific pieces need to fully utilize AMT/SOL/LMS/HECI/vPro capabilities. AND part of the confusion is that, in one Revision of the chipset, Dell did NOT include some SOL/LMS pieces, and they were separate, and in other Revs, Dell DID include more of the MEI or other pieces, so it is just ONE BIG HAIRY MESS FOR WE [PAYING CUSTOMERS] TO TRY AND FIGURE OUT; and now, our Windows 7 Deployments are stalled and crippled, because we do NOT know WHICH pieces to apply, in WHICH order. We cannot even push the SOL/LMS/HECI pieces with SCCM, unless/until we figure out what is going on with these install errors and issues with HECI and related pieces. Granted, we do have a very few systems that are NON-AMT and/or NON-vPro, but most have AMT/vPro included.

As you can tell, this has been open since October 2011 and is still NOT considered "answered."

Any help that someone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. (one next step is for me to visit Server Admin groups on LinkedIn and see if other admins have resolved these issues).

0 Kudos