Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

September 9th, 2014 15:00

"No Boot Device Available" upon startup. XPS 8500 inoperable.

Hello forums.

XPS 8500
Win 8
i7

Two days ago the power went out at my house 3 times in a row one day (had a big storm). After that happened, my computer got stuck in that "Repair Boot loop" and I couldn't press any keys to enter the BIOS menu. Then I learned while I was at work the power went out (the following day) and since then my computer shows the message:

No boot device available Strike the F1 key to retry boot, F2 to run the Setup utility. 
SATA 0: Installed
SATA 1: Installed
SATA 2: None
SATA 3: None
MSATA1: None

I tried chainging the Sata Mode to Raid (nothing changed) and the Boot Mode to Legacy but its grayed out and I can't change it. 
Both of these ideas I've seen suggested on this forum for this same problem. 
I also tried reseating the Sata cables and removing all of the plugged in USBs. 
I even tried removing the power cord and expelling the residual electricity by pressing the power button. 
Both I also found as a suggestion on this forum. 

Unfortunatly, everyone elses computers seemed to miraculously start working again and the thread died. 

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

-Nick

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 10th, 2014 12:00

It's possible data in the boot sector got corrupted. You probably need Win 8 reinstallation media to repair it, assuming the boot sector wasn't physically damaged by the crashes when the power failed.

If the drive is physically damaged, the only fix is a new HDD and a clean install of Windows.

If you're in the US or Canada, you can request the Win 8* installation disk or USB stick from Dell here.

*EDIT: This assumes the system came with Win 8. Otherwise, Dell will only send you the Windows installation media for whatever version of Windows originally came on the HDD.

2 Posts

September 13th, 2014 12:00

Thank you Ron! 
That makes sense. My hdd has been acting up since... well, since I bought the computer to be honest. So I bought an external to back up my files for this reason. 

Unfortunately it says on the link you provided that in order to request a disk my product would still have to be under warranty which it isn't. 

Is there any other way to acquire the disk from Dell or Windows that you know of?

Thanks again. 

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 14th, 2014 12:00

Its possible to download Windows 7 but not Windows 8.0 or Windows 8.1 without repurchase from official sources. For Windows 8.0 or 8.1 you will need to call Dell Technical Support to request a Reinstallation DVD see here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-windows/request-a-reinstallation-dvd-from-dell/

For hard drive replacement, I advise installation of a 256 GB M500 mSATA and 1-2 TB mechanical HDD. Look to Crucial for these:

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Dell/xps-8500

Once you have replaced the drive, follow my Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean install of Windows:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/

This will take you through clean installation of Windows, updating to Windows 8.1, driver installation and making new factory settings from your clean install.

No Events found!