Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

June 26th, 2012 03:00

recomendation Not use sleep mode with XPS 8500

I was having problems with my XPS 8500 not coming up from sleep mode in a correct way all the times. Sometimes, the computer came back from sleep mode with wrong monitor resolution, sometimes I got a message that the AMD board was restartting,  and in a few times it failed to "wake up" at all (I hade to power down/up). I have been talking with Dell support and their recomendation is not to use the "sleeping mode" at all with the XPS 8500 (they deactivated this function in my computer). Have several XPS 8500 users got the same recomendation?  I wonder if it is an official recomendation for the xps 8500....

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 26th, 2012 08:00

Hi AndreSmo,

That's the first time I've heard of it. Sleep problems in desktops, however, are fairly common. They are most often the result of dodgy drivers or externally connected devices. My suggestion would be to check downloads for any driver updates first.

27 Posts

June 27th, 2012 01:00

Thanks Osprey

I have updated my AMD driver and I hope it will improve the sleep function.

27 Posts

June 27th, 2012 07:00

After updating the AMD Driver, I have not had any problems. If I get any problems, I will report back!

3 Posts

June 27th, 2012 07:00

I have the identical problem. Seems to me it is a hardware problem, given than Dell said not to use sleep mode. If so, typical obfuscation of avoiding warranty work. Surely they know what it is. Did your AMD re-install fix the problem?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 27th, 2012 10:00

Good to hear.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

June 27th, 2012 19:00

There's also a new version of BIOS (A06) for the XPS 8500 that includes a fix for the PCI-e x16 slot which is where an add-in video card would be installed.

That said,  I can't make heads or tails of what the description of the PCI-e x16 fix on that page actually says or means. QUOTE:

Add 50ms delay to wait PCIE16x ready to fix change CPU from SNB to IVB when use add on graphics no display.

:emotion-43:

3 Posts

June 30th, 2012 09:00

I also updated this driver, and it did not matter, same old problem. I also have the problem with hard boot up, and the only tihing I can do is pull the plug. This sleep malfunction happens about every 10 cycles, otherwise working OK. I need the sleep function to work properly. Of all the Dell machines I've purchased, about 15, this is the only model that screws up in this fashion. I can't square with 'sleep' being a consistent problem.

I still feel this is a hardware issue versus software or driver problem. Recommending not to use the sleep function is a red herring.

2 Posts

July 18th, 2012 01:00

I've exactly the same issue, brand new XPS 8500 less than a week old, AMD HD7870 with up to date drivers and when the monitor powers back on after sleep then intermittently the resolution changes to 1024x768 from 1920x1200 which is quite annoying.

BIOS is A05 18/04/2012 going to see if there is an update for it and a possible fix.

41 Posts

July 18th, 2012 07:00

I have an nvidia based xps8500....no issues at all so far with coming up from sleep mode.

I will add that my xps8500 DOES have an issue with sata cards not being recognised (even inthe bios).

2 Posts

July 20th, 2012 10:00

I've updated the BIOS but it is still doing it every now and again.

30 Posts

August 9th, 2012 10:00

No problems with the sleep function, with the system as it came, nor after I installed an SSD to hold all Win7 and programs. Like JamesL I have the SATAcard bug in the PCIe1x slots...

2 Posts

September 14th, 2012 13:00

I'm having the same problem too - tried updating the BIOS today, but can't get it to update :-(

2 Posts

October 17th, 2012 09:00

I have the same problem and I wish I had a good solution.  I was able to get it out of sleep mode by holding the power button down for several seconds and rebooting that way.  Now the PC won't boot up at all after putting it into sleep mode and trying to force it awake by pulling the power cord.  The light on the power supply and mother board come on, but the power button remains dark.  Just bought this PC in May so I'm not too happy.  It seems like someone from Dell should address the issue based on the large number of complaints.  I'll contact them directly.  If I don't get a satisfactory result I'll simply contact the Better Business Bureau.  I would encourage you to do the same.  Strength in numbers.  It's a last resort, but it usually gets good results with merchants who care about their reputation.

October 17th, 2012 15:00

I spoke with Dell tech support and they said it is ok to put my XPS 8500 in sleep mode. I have a Sammy 256 Gb SSD hard dive. I have been doing it for the last two weeks with not one issue. The only thing is, To get it out of  sleep mode, you have to press the power button which will be orange to indicate sleep mode. Moving the mouse won't work because all usb transmitters are also in sleep mode

October 24th, 2012 11:00

My XPS 8500 did the same thing, less than a week after setting it up ( I received two identical systems on Oct 4th - my wife's has been working perfectly!).  Upon pressing the power button to wake it up after sleep, the computer would try to start and stop.  Only way to get this cycle to stop was to unplug the computer. That was on Oct. 9th -  I called technical support and they updated the bios and NVIDIA driver.  All was fine until this morning.  Same issue.  I called technical support and they created a new profile, which didn't solve the problem.  I was told the computer would need to be reset to factory specs. Of course I was not happy with this answer, as it would have meant losing all the work I put in to configure the computer.  They sent me to the software techs where they also took control of the computer and as others have said, disabled the Sleep feature.  I said that was an unacceptable fix - sleep is an important feature for me, and it's on the computer for reason. Back to the hardware techs - this time Rajiv changed a bunch of power settings and is convinced he solved the problem, which was a conflict between the power supply and video card. Time will tell.

I agree that this is a known issue and hopefully Dell is looking for a better solution than what the techs have been doing.

No Events found!