Not applicable

(redirected) Alienware X51 - multiple problems

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I have been having a number of problems with my X51 for a while now and I have searched and tried all the suggested solutions but nothing is working.

My problems:

1. Computer freezes within a few minutes of booting up. Requires me to hold down the power button until the power turns off and reboot. Usually happens if I load up a game but frequently just if I leave it it will freeze with nothing loaded. Black desktop, half a dozen icons, and a few programs loaded - Spotify, Steam, Dropbox.

2. Computer switches itself off randomly (power just dies from PC. No warning. Reboots itself in a few seconds) This also happens when booted in Safe Mode.

3. Occasionally after one of these reboots the computer will emit either a continuous single beep or continous double beep. No associated pattern - just endless beeping. Only way to stop this is from disconnecting the power and waiting a couple minutes before trying again.

4. BSOD (less frequent since I did a fresh install of Windows 7)

5. Sometimes when the computer reboots, the monitor will not come out of 'Power Save' mode. Requires me to disconnect power and cables to the monitor and computer, wait a bit, reconnect them all and reboot.

6. Known problem with this PC - wireless card doesn't work. Have to use a USB Wifi adaptor.

Now, if the computer does boot properly and survives the first 10-15min of operation, as long as I don't switch it off, it will run flawlessly. 

I have reinstalled Windows 7 and all my drivers/BIOS/etc are up to date.

I have run most of the diagnostics on the Dell site and never had any problems.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can find the problem?

Please let me know what information I need to provide.

Cheers,

Sol

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
8 Krypton

RE: Alienware X51 - multiple problems

Jump to solution

Best to this post in the Alienware Owners Club Forum, here:

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/default.aspx

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos