Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

March 4th, 2008 19:00

reset help

hey,

turned on my comuter the other day for the first time, in like 6 months and it asked me for my admin password which i never set up in the first place, wont let me bypass it, and i dont have the reset disk that came with the computer, is there anyway to get around this or download something to reset my computer from the internet onto my laptop and copy it on to a disk to use on the desktop? Or bypass the password all together?

Any help would be much apreciated, thanks,

2K Posts

March 4th, 2008 21:00

It depends.  Was it a Windows screen that asked you for a password, or a BIOS screen?  That is, does it get beyond the Dell splash display to the Windows one?  If Windows wants a password you never entered, someone else may have used the system and put one in.  There is a password utility for Windows available for download on the internet.

If it is a Dell password and you did not enter one, again someone else may have.  Or, the clock battery may be failing, this causes all kinds of mysterious startup problems.  The Dell password can be bypassed and cleared by following the BIOS reset procedure in the online manual.

2 Posts

March 5th, 2008 08:00

thanks a million for the advice its the windows screen, (on my laptop it comes up as user with a blue background), any idea where you could down load the password utility for windows?

2K Posts

March 5th, 2008 14:00

We had one in the lab.  It resides on floppy.  You start Windows installer, then F6 at the prompt for RAID driver, it says "insert driver in drive A (not sure it will accept it from a CD).  Windows doesn't install, but rather restarts with the password rewriter active (DOS), gives you option of which account you want to change and what you want to change it to, then Windows starts and that account will be open with the new p'word, which you can remove once it's going.  I believe it only works with 2K and XP.

Google it, I don't know where it came from, it was just there.  Search something like 'windows password unlock'.

No Events found!