Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 29th, 2016 13:00

response of Dell Inspiron 3847 optical drive -- to inserting a CD

My Dell Inspiron 3847 has lately responded more slowly to inserting a CD in its optical drive.  ("DVD RW Drive (E:)" displays more slowly in File Explorer after inserting a CD in the optical drive, and splash screens for some CDs don't display for several minutes.)

Can someone say what the range of time normally is after inserting a CD in the optical drive?

2.3K Posts

July 29th, 2016 17:00

It should only be a few seconds from when the CD drawer closes till the OS recognizes it and you can access the CD.  Have you run any antivirus or antimalware programs to check for those things?  Are you missing any updates from Windows Update?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 29th, 2016 19:00

Or perhaps an ailing optical drive?

25 Posts

August 2nd, 2016 08:00

Does anyone know whether the ASUS DRW-24B1ST drive would function in the Dell Inspiron 3847 (assuming the ASUS drive itself is functional)?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 2nd, 2016 11:00

You'd need to check what SATA port it uses (SATA 2 or SATA3). Assuming the motherboard is SATA3, a SATA3 optical drive will be faster than a SATA2 optical drive. A SATA3 motherboard should handle either type drive.

The drive bay on this PC is 5.25", so either the drive has to fit that size bay, and/or it will need a drive tray or brackets if it's only a 3.5" drive. And if it's 3.5", you might need an extra bezel around the opening on front of PC.

Make sure the drive supports whatever version of Windows you're running.

25 Posts

August 2nd, 2016 14:00

The drive has five colored cables on one side of the cable plug and one orange cable (about 1/2" wide) on the other side.  I don't know if the drive uses SATA port 2 or 3, but, at newegg, someone asked:  Does it require a SATA III (6 Gb/s) cable or a SATA II (3 Gb/s) cable?

Someone answered:

They are backwards compatible so it doesn't matter which one you use. I don't think you will benefit more from getting a sata 3 cable or a sata 2 one.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 2nd, 2016 17:00

Well, It does matter. If the motherboard supports SATA3 and the optical drive is only SATA2, data transfer will (in theory) be half the speed than if you installed a SATA3 optical drive.

You might check the Asus site to see if they have specs, and look at the current optical drive to see if the label says SATA2 or SATA3.

BTW: Since you're replacing the existing drive you can use the existing SATA cable. There should be no difference between a SATA2 and SATA3 cable in terms of performance.

25 Posts

August 2nd, 2016 21:00

The Asus site only says SATA about the Interface, not whether it is SATA2 or SATA3.  Yes, I would look at the current optical drive to see if the label says SATA2 or SATA3, but the power cables will not detac.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 3rd, 2016 18:00

Which connector do you mean, SATA data or SATA power? Look to see if there are any retention clips on the drive or cable that you might have to press or squeeze to release the connector.

If not, just try wiggling the connector on the cable gently until it's free from the drive.

Make sure you unplug PC and press/hold power button for ~15 sec before doing any work inside the case. And be careful about static too.

25 Posts

August 3rd, 2016 20:00

The DVD drive has the following on it:  Super Multi DVD Writer, Model: GHBON, KCC -- REM -- HLD -- GH24NSB0,  CN 096N9F, 48321, 3B3, 0A2M, A00, DP/N 096N9F, M3X5.  The Compact Disc logo says Ultra Speed.

25 Posts

August 6th, 2016 08:00

Thanks everyone.  I was able to install a new optical drive this morning, and it is working fine. Thanks to everyone for all their assistance.

No Events found!