Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 20th, 2011 05:00

restarts after clicking sleep

I have a XPS 410 recently upgraded to Windows 7.

But now whenever I click to sleep the system restarts.

Anyone have any clue as to why it does this or any solutiuons.

Any positive feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 20th, 2011 06:00

Check the event log for driver error.  Video and Network card driver issues specifically.

Change the default behavior to NOT REBOOT after a crash.

What blue screen remains?

872 Posts

October 20th, 2011 08:00

51 Posts

October 22nd, 2011 22:00

To Speed step.

No blue screen it just reboots every time it goes to sleep.

be it because I put it to sleep or it goes to sleep after none use.

872 Posts

October 23rd, 2011 08:00

51 Posts

October 23rd, 2011 18:00

Ok Muto let me be more detailed.

I have an XPS 410 that I did a full install of Windows 7 Ultimate from Vista Ultimate that was used to upgrade the original windows xp that came w my system.

When I press sleep button it restarts, when it goes into sleep mode when not in use it restarts.

I was having trouble upgrading to WINDOWS 7  and was advised to do a full install.

I gues it has its quirks.

your telling me of possible incompleate install.

Yes I do get the Yellow Bang on the Shut down icon.

Checked Device Manager no Yellow Bangs there.

I hope this may help you help me.

Thanks for al the help

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 24th, 2011 06:00

Restarting instead of Sleep is a driver issue and would produce a blue screen or error in the event log.

Thats why you change the behavior to NOT REBOOT on crash.

Change the restart behavior for the computer.

To do this, follow these steps:

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2. Click Advanced system settings.

3. Click the Advanced tab.

4. In the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings.

5. Click to clear the Automatically restart check box.

A hardware device might be keeping your computer awake. USB flash drives and USB mice are common devices that can keep your computer awake. Make sure that you have the most current drivers all of your devices. For more information, see Update drivers: recommended links.

To prevent a device from waking your computer

1.      Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then, under System, clicking Device Manager.‌ If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2.      In the list of hardware categories, find the device that you want to prevent from waking your computer, and then double-click the device name.

3.      Click the Power Management tab and then clear the Allow this device to wake the computer check box.

4.      Click OK.

·         A program or scheduled task might be waking your computer. By default, Power Option settings do not allow scheduled tasks to wake the computer from sleep or hibernate. However, some programs might awaken the computer if these settings have been changed.

To prevent programs from waking your computer

1.      Open Power Options by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then clicking Power Options.

2.      On the Select a power plan page, click Change plan settings for the plan that you want to change.

3.      On the Change settings for the plan page, click Change advanced power settings.

4.      On the Advanced settings tab, expand Sleep, expand Allow wake timers, choose Disable for both when your computer is running on battery and when it's plugged in, and then click OK.

For further information, visit the below mentioned links:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Sleep-and-hibernation-frequently-asked-questions

872 Posts

October 24th, 2011 07:00

No Events found!