Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 30th, 2014 13:00

run optiplex 990 single drive without RAID

I have an optiplex 990 that I want to use with a single WD blue drive. In other words, I don't want raid enabled. In the bios should I set SATA to ATA or AHCI. I dont want to take any performance hit on the drive. This will be a clean install of windows 7.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 30th, 2014 14:00

If you have the following options:

• AHCI = SATA is configured for AHCI mode
  • ATA = SATA is configured for ATA mode
  • RAID ON = SATA is configured to support RAID mode
  • Disabled = The SATA controller is hidden

Then you want to choose AHCI, which will ignore any RAID signatures.  (Leaving RAID on would probably work, but you would have to boot to CTRL-I to convert the disk to non-RAID before installing.)  If you ever plan on moving a RAID drive to this machine, then consider leaving RAID on and changing your existing drive to non-RAID, as the disk/data won't be recognized in AHCI mode (it ignores RAID headers).

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 30th, 2014 13:00

Keep it in AHCI mode, even if "RAID AutoDetect/AHCI" is your only option.  If the disk has never been made part of a RAID array, then it will not have a RAID signature, which is what the "AutoDetect" portion of that mode is looking for, and will leave it as non-RAID.  There WIILL be a performance hit if you set the SATA Operation to ATA.

48 Posts

Thanks  theflash1932.

The drive I'm using was at one time part of a raid array (two mirrored drives), but I'll be formatting and installing windows clean on that drive. I'm assuming once I do that any raid signature would be lost, or is there something else I need to do before installing windows in AHCI mode. In the bios the option is just raid on or off, ACHI, ATA and disabled.

48 Posts

Excellent thanks for the info.

No Events found!