Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 20th, 2005 18:00

slow 8200

I check for viruses all the time, keep them updated (and, in fact since I got norton internet security the thing seems to run SLOWER), HAVE ADAWARE, PC MIGHTYMAX everything. yet the thing runs slow as he ll - its just OK for games when i shut poretty much all other apps down but the net or transferring files is HIDEOUSLY slow.  what can I do?  its  P4 1.9
John

1.4K Posts

February 20th, 2005 18:00

How long since you ran disk cleanup?  Try it and see if things go better.

4 Posts

February 20th, 2005 19:00

no i run that at least once a week and it never makes a bit of difference.  I get random "virtual memory too low" messages too.  Is it possible my RAM is failing after 3+ years?
John

Message Edited by jkf011 on 02-20-2005 03:32 PM

1.4K Posts

February 20th, 2005 21:00

How much RAM do you have?

One thing I have seen in the past, was a user who had a P4 2.8 that took over 5 minutes to log in.  I logged in with my own credentials, and it brought up the desktop in about 5 seconds.  Investigation found over 43,000 emails in his inbox.  I had him do some deleting, and he actually got it down to 40 emails that were worth keeping.  Anyway, all that stuff had to load every time he logged in, so the extra time was spent creating virtual memory space on the hard drive.  After he cleaned up his inbox, his login only took a few seconds.

Worth looking at.

4 Posts

February 21st, 2005 05:00

Aha!  so you're saying that whatever is in my Outlook mailbox loads everytime I have the puter on, especially when I am online and in Outlook?  i DO have a lot of emails in there.  maybe the virusscan rescans them everytime too even slowing it down further?

It takes me like 15mins to start up the puter!
John

Message Edited by jkf011 on 02-21-2005 01:02 AM

933 Posts

February 21st, 2005 08:00

You can also go in your bios and check to see that your cpu is set to normal not compatible,also get rid of all your cookies that can slow you down big time

4 Posts

February 24th, 2005 02:00

No cookies to speak of I clean that bit pretty regular like.  It was 9 mins befroe I could really do anything tonite, 9 mins to log in!  will check BIOS next time - where am I looking at and what exactly should it say?

I do have a lot of emails, I'll try to delete waht I can next few days.

Thanks

John

933 Posts

February 24th, 2005 07:00

go into your bios and scroll down to your cpu and see if it is set to normal not compatible

• 

25K Posts

August 23rd, 2021 15:00

Hi there, We want to make sure your system is working fine and hence following up. Having said that, we do not want to disturb you with numerous messages. We will wait to hear from you to continue the conversation.
No Events found!