Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 24th, 2008 03:00

studio 540 upgrades?

Specs are Intel Q8200 6g ram 800mhz 750GHD Vista 64 375W PSU and the all too junky Ati 3450HD. I'm posting again bec I don't know if the last one worked.  I want to add a Nvidia 260GTX  but my PSU is weak. If I add a more powerful PSU will my MOBO supply it with the correct voltage/amps? If it won't work can I just install a new MOBO from Intel or Asus? Last question for now if I do get another Mobo can I uninstall Vista from the Dell and put it on the New setup? I would appreciate the help...

3.7K Posts

November 24th, 2008 05:00

Hi brokdik, Yes you can add a new PSU to your mobo you can find a selection HERE, and it wont fry your mobo. However an retail mobo will not fit the case, you I/O will not marry up with the case. You will not be able to use Dell OEM software, because you wont have an Dell BIOS, and will have to use an retail operating system. But I do agree with about you graphics card, for that system its a bit junky.

22 Posts

December 2nd, 2008 10:00

Psu's seem to come in different size, form factors, voltages and what not.

How can you narrow it down to the ones that will fit the Dell Studio desktop?

3.7K Posts

December 2nd, 2008 11:00

Hi Naamaan, The form factor is ATX, and the voltage can be what you want. I have found this good web site, where the sell PSU,s for Dell machines. See HERE. There are a good selection to the left of the screen, if your still unsure, have a look at your own and compare it against these.

No Events found!