Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 3rd, 2009 15:00

system restore I need help urgently!

I have an old desk top Dimension 4500s and I wish to run system restore, I do not have the disc that came with the copmuter so I tried to do it following the directions.  However the computer simple ignores the command all together and loads up anyway at which point whenever I try to go online an error pops up and the computer goes back to the screen with the icons.

What do I do? Anybody please!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

That model apparently does not have the Restore Partition.  You will have to manually reinstall, if that is what you want to do.  You will need, ata minimum a Windows XP CD, the original Dell or another one that you bought that can be activated (you can only activate one PC with one legally licensed Retail CD).  You can download the device drivers from the Dell downloads  HERE

The correct install sequence is (1) Install Windows (2) Install Intel chipset drivers (3) Install device drivers such as sound, video, etc. 

DO NOT omit the chipset drivers, they MUST be installed before install the sound drivers.  One of the function of the chipset drivers is to define what is on or attached to the motherboard.  

Hello,

I have been having trouble also with system restore with my Dimension 4550 desk top computer.   I then went to www.microsoft.com/downloads and downloaded the latest service pack 2 & 3 and then upgraded my internet explorer to 7 which has 8 out also now.  

My computer is running much better now and have no need to go to system restore so that is how I solved the problem for myself.  When I went to windows update it was updated for everything it said which I do keep up on that but thought to further help this issue I would see what else I could update that might help.   Updating to service pack 2 and 3 helped the issue with me for now do not have any urgency to use system restore at the present time.  

Do hope this might help you. 

No Events found!