Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 12th, 2016 17:00

u3415w borders

Hey, been trying to figure out why my movie quality was poor. Went through display manager and set it specifically on chrome for movie quality. Picture is perfect now. When I was on regular full screen setting I had no black borders. Now I have black borders on top and bottom. Which is fine except for when I try to full screen youtube it was from just black borders on top and bottom to just a box in the middle with black borders all around. Netflix is the same way.

So what do I do to atleast go from black on all sides to just the top and bottom which I believe up and bottom are just part of how videos are on Ultra Wides.

Thank you for your time,

Edit: Some youtube,netflix and twitch streams just have black borders around the left and right. Some videos are borders on all sides. Is this normal?

Adam

11 Posts

August 12th, 2016 18:00

Hi, just was editing it as you posted it :)

Seems like it is definetly as it's shot. I tried different netflix movies and found some have borders on all sides. Some just left and right. I think you pretty much solved it for me!

Thanks for the help!

Adam

2.3K Posts

August 12th, 2016 18:00

Hello!  First what I would do is go into your display manager and set the resolution to 3440x1440 which is what the monitor is native at.  Now because the Monitor is 21x9 and not 16x9, when playing 'widescreen' movies and videos, you probably will get black boxes on the sides (and maybe on the top depending on how its shot) because your screen is a lot wider then 'standard' which now a days is 16x9.  There may be a way to stretch the image in the monitor's control panel, however doing that you run the risk of distorting the movie you are watching and the quality would turn poor.

11 Posts

August 15th, 2016 11:00

Hi,

After further investigating most of the youtube videos look a little blurry when made full screen. Fullscreen has the bars on left and right so I know it is running widescreen. While some other videos have the bars on all sides and less blurry, not sure why.

In general netflix is the most blurry/out of focus most of the time. I am running HD on my 100mbps internet so bandwidth is not a problem downsizing the display to a lower resolution as with some on lower bandwidth.

I am currently running in geforce experince control panel running "aspect ratio" scaling  in the nvidia control panel. Though I have not noticed any improvement in "aspect ratio" "full screen" or "no scaling"

It is runnig at 3440x1440 like you had mentioned I should look for. Is this just a limitation on the monitor or is it something that can be worked on? I mean little grainy/blur isn't going to kill me just wondered if it could be better. Also in dell manager preset mode I have movie setting for chrome but it does not seem to matter as unpreset browsers all look the same.

Thanks for you time,

Adam

2.3K Posts

August 16th, 2016 12:00

Hello!  Unless the videos themselves are encoded at 1440p, you will get a little blur.  Netflix is experimenting with 4k, or they have a few shows at 4k (don't remember which).  I would try one of those and see if its crystal clear.  If it is, then to me it would be because you are watching a 1080p video on netflix or youtube, on a 1440p monitor.  If the 4k video on netflix (or youtube) is not crystal clear then there is an issue with scaling.  Normally I let windows and netflix do it all automatically without using the Nvidia control panel on my computer.  I don't like having windows and nvidia fighting for my monitor's attention.

No Events found!