Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

February 11th, 2017 15:00

upgrade from windows xp sp3 32 bit to windows 7 sp1 32 bit on dell dimension 4700c !

I recently purchased a new dell xps 8900. My old unit a Dell Dimension 4700C runs on the discontinued Windows XP. I ran the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor on the 4700c and the advisor says the machine will run Windows 7. I purchased a WIN PRO 7 SP1 X32 EN OEI NO CN DVD LCP from Dell online - $140 or so. I put the cd into the dvd/cd-rw drive (D). Nothing happens. The little indicator light on the drive door lights for a second and then it goes out.  I have an external LG brand drive, dvd-ram drive (E) connected. When I attempt to run the disk from this drive, the indicator light flashes for 30 seconds or so but nothing happens. When I double click the drive, the error message says Please insert a disk into the drive E:. ??
Additionally, when setting up the xps 8900, I had to create the installation media on a thumb drive. I was fixing the windows 10 which Dell had said was included with that purchase. That installation was eventually successful. Again, I downloaded installation media for Windows 7 to a removable drive. It is an .iso file about 2.5 g. It too unfortunately does nothing when I attempt to run it from any usb port.
Any advice you can give is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

16 Posts

February 11th, 2017 16:00

Does the install media work on other computers?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 11th, 2017 18:00

I guess it's possible the disk is defective.

On some older Dell systems, you may have disconnect the second optical drive, before you can boot from the Win Reinstallation DVD. I had to do that on my Dimension 8400 when I upgraded from XP to Win 7. And in my case, the first optical drive was only a CD drive which doesn't read DVDs, so I had to swap it for the other optical drive which is a DVD drive.

You can try this before disabling drives:

Put the DVD in drive D: and close the drawer. Now reboot and immediately press F12. Look on the menu for the option to boot from the optical drive.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 11th, 2017 19:00

USB booting is not an option for Dimension 4700.

There is NO DIRECT PATH or upgrade from XP to windows 7.

Upgrade of xp requires VISTA SP2 upgrade.  Then Windows 7.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 11th, 2017 23:00

Any advice you can give is greatly appreciated.

You need a Vista upgrade or retail installer of the correct version (Home, Business, etc.) You don't need the key: neither activation nor a key is needed to upgrade to Seven. (Been there, done that.)

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 12th, 2017 04:00

That model is about 13 years old... Time to retire it especially when you have an XPS 8900 to hand.

92 Posts

February 12th, 2017 09:00

yes

92 Posts

On the dell dimension 4700c, when I click the created installation media - Win7_Pro_SP1_English_COEM_x32.iso, this image above displays. How do I werk this?

Thank you

92 Posts

Guess I gotta check out the Vista thing but why does the venerable upgrade advisor make no mention of this precondition when declaring that a machine is ready to upgrade to windows 7? specifically before plunking down $140 for a potentially worthless disk.?-

Thank you

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 12th, 2017 11:00

If you bought the full version of Win 7 (rather than an upgrade disk) you should be able to do a clean install of Win 7.  There's no need to install Vista first and then upgrade to Win 7.

Just boot from the Win 7 DVD to run the clean install.

That's what I did on my Dimension...

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 12th, 2017 17:00

Guess I gotta check out the Vista thing but why does the venerable upgrade advisor make no mention of this precondition when declaring that a machine is ready to upgrade to windows 7? specifically before plunking down $140 for a potentially worthless disk.?-

I assume it means the target machine is Seven-ready, but an in-place upgrade cannot be performed.

PM me about a Vista Business 32-bit ISO.

92 Posts

February 12th, 2017 21:00

Is this valid, 'If you bought the full version of Win 7 (rather than an upgrade disk) you should be able to do a clean install of Win 7.  There's no need to install Vista first and then upgrade to Win 7.

Just boot from the Win 7 DVD to run the clean install.'

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 12th, 2017 22:00

You can clean-install with either an upgrade or a full version. In the case of an upgrade, you need to install twice to activate with the key.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 13th, 2017 00:00

The .iso should go on a DVD or Bootable USB and not a CD...

The iso is the commercial OEM iso meaning its a system builder iso and not a retail full or retail upgrade iso.

92 Posts

February 13th, 2017 07:00

Hello, specifically natakuc4,

the dell dimension 4700c 'native' drive is a:  TSSTcorp CDRW/DVD TSL462C.

the external drive is an LG HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-E60L USB.

The issue is that neither seem to recognize the install disk. I cannot boot, seemingly, from either drive.

Additionally, I get no response from the created install media on the generic flash usb.

I have not yet referred to your recommended wikis  and install guides.

Thank you

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 13th, 2017 08:00

The iso is the commercial OEM iso meaning its a system builder iso and not a retail full or retail upgrade iso.
Retail and enterprise ISOs are also available.

No Events found!