Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

March 11th, 2008 08:00

wake on ring

i have a desktop 8300.  is it possible to enable wake on ring (from S3/standby) from an external USB modem (bus powered)?  the modem is capable of wake from D3.  but it doesn't seem to get power in S3, and the box "allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" is greyed out.

9.4K Posts

March 11th, 2008 12:00

The Dimension models of the 8300's generation were designed for the "home user" so wake up options weren't available in the BIOS.  Back then the Optiplex system were the ones recommended for those who needed a Wake On Lan function.

8 Posts

March 11th, 2008 13:00

thanks for your reply.  wake-on-lan actually works, which is why i was hoping wake on ring might work too.  i can also wake the desktop with mouse or kayboard, although i think these are ps2, not usb.

5.8K Posts

March 11th, 2008 14:00

The 8300 has the "Low Power Mode" in the BIOS which turns off devices such as the NIC when powered off, so it appears to have WOL functionality (my 4550 which is roughly the same vintage does have WOL). I have got WOL to work on many Dimensions.

It could be an issue with the hardware (being USB) or driver for the modem. My cheap modem in this XP machine (D9200) does have the "Allow this device to bring ..." and it is not greyed out.

Are you running XP? Do you have the latest updates for the OS and for the modem?

Peter
Message Edited by PETER345 on 03-11-2008 08:24 AM

8 Posts

March 11th, 2008 15:00

thanks for your reply peter345.

i'll check my "low power mode" setting in the bios.

as i said, wake-on-lan does work for me, but wake on ring does not.

actually, the "usb root" controller doesn't appear capable of waking the machine.

the modem that you refer to below, is it usb?

5.8K Posts

March 11th, 2008 15:00

My modem is PCI.  I suspect that USB is the issue.  Clearly USB devices can wake the machine from standby (my USB keyboard does).  However, your modem might not be designed to do it.  You might want to check tech support for the modem and see if it should work or not.

I believe the low power mode refers to the power off and hibernate states and not standby, but I am not totally sure about that.

Peter

7.9K Posts

March 13th, 2008 15:00

you might read the KB article that I editted in ... it's unclear what the other entry does and MS recommends against it (though the dell tool used to add it).  A clean install of XP Pro (academic / enterprise) does not have either for me by default ...  OEM installs from dell may.

7.9K Posts

USB devices cannot wake the system up from S3 by default even with the appropriate options checked in device manager (Peter, perhaps your in S1 or have the below registry options enabled already).  Dell used to have a program to make the required registry changes, but this should work instead.  Use notepad and paste the below text into a new txt file.  Save the file as something like enable_S3.reg  (not as a text file) -- and then double click the file.  Please consider making a system restore point first.

edit:  not sure what effect this will have if you are currently prevented from checking the necessary box in device manager ... that could be a seperate issues entirely.

edit2:  see this KB article for more info:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841858

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usb]
"USBBIOSHACKS"=dword:00000000
"USBBIOSx"=dword:00000000

Message Edited by NemesisDB on 03-13-2008 11:37 AM
Message Edited by NemesisDB on 03-13-2008 11:42 AM

5.8K Posts

It is definitely S3 (S1 leaves the fans on and burns 100W, S3 is silent and only 2W) and I never made any changes to the registry (knowingly).

I find it hard to believe that no USB keyboard can wake the system.  I have yet to find a non-laptop in which the USB keyboard can't wake a machine from S3.

I just checked and I have the 2nd entry (USBBIOSx) but not the first in my registry.

Peter

1 Message

March 17th, 2009 10:00

I came across you post.  Can you provide details on how you got WOL to work on Dell Dimension 4550?

My system details are,

Dell Dimension 4550, bios rev A08 (most recent)

On board NIC, which it shipped with is Intel Pro/100ve driver ver 6.1.3.11 (Intel 09-19-02)

Running XP Pro, SP3

I've tried every combination of bios and NIC settings I can think of.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

No Events found!