Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 25th, 2009 18:00

want to replace video card XPS Gen 2 desktop

have an old xps gen 2 that i still use daily, but have wanted 2 upgrade the vid card 4 a long time & have looked around newegg & am wondering what is a good repacement 4 my aging fx5200 nvidia card? thx 4 any replies!!

Gringo

3.7K Posts

June 26th, 2009 02:00

Hi wtxgringo, Your manual is HERE, and you have an 8x AGP graphics card slot on your mobo. With that in mind there are some cards here that i would recommend, the first one HERE is the 9550, or this one HERE, and there more HERE.

3.7K Posts

June 26th, 2009 06:00

Hi wtxgringo, That AGP card will take its power off your PSU, you will need a spare 4 pin power cable running from your PSU.

6 Posts

June 26th, 2009 06:00

Thx 4 the reply; saw those on newegg & was wondering about this card? Only thing that stumps me is the power watt description, does it need a separate plugin to the power supply on my gen2 & does my power supply have that? Haven't opened my case 2 look... Thx!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143069

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 26th, 2009 07:00

That Card takes power from a 4 Pin Molex but will work fine in your XPS.

Its actually a PCI-E card with an AGP Bridge which is the diagonal heatsink near the bottom of the card.

No issues with your power supply.   The power MUST BE CONNECTED to the card before you turn it on.

6 Posts

June 26th, 2009 18:00

OK, so i gather my psu has a 4 pin connector? have looked online 4 pix of that psu or similar, haven't found any. is that a decent card or should i just go with something simple? thx a whole lot 4 ur help u guys!!!:emotion-46:

October 30th, 2009 11:00

I had the same problem with an ailing FX5200, and was directed by Dell to install the ATI Radeon HD2600 AGP (or VisionTek)  card, and I am sorry that I followed that advice.

I added an new Dell 24" monitor only to find I needed some sage advice there as well.  Adding the monitor caused the card to ultimately begin to fail, so I proceeded to the service site at Dell and boutght the ATI card.  I believe that caused the cooling fans to run longer and within two months, I had to replace the fans (not easy to find by the way).

Over time, I kept getting alerts to upgrade the ATI card..... a whole new journey into Radeon and VisionTex ensued which basically ended when I was told at VisionTex that they did not know why the upgrade I downloaded did not function, so back to ATI, and back to Dell... I eventually gave up and live with the quirks - like starting up with a 1024 x 768 screen resolution about half the time I re-boot.

I suggest you avoid the above noted ATI card.  I am not looking to spend for any new cards, which indicate suitability to the Gen 2.  I don't believe them, and sadly, Dell support is of no use for this old machine.

6 Posts

October 30th, 2009 13:00

i finally installed a HIS Radeon 9550 & it works fine. took some getting used 2 ati's Catalyst, so diff than nVidia, but it works fine with my monitor. u might give that card a try from newegg.

6 Posts

November 3rd, 2009 10:00

this computer & 19" monitor is up for sale if anybody wants it. works great still!! make an offer. bought a hp phenom II x4 940! & 25" monitor. can't wait to get it :emotion-14:

No Events found!