Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 17th, 2012 14:00

we apologize...windows did not start successfully

Tried pressing F8. I was able to select "last known good..." However, it goes to a screen where I choose my OS (windows home edition xp SP3), then starts to boot up, then goes back to error screen "we apologize...windows did not start successfully" Keeps looping back. I did not recieve a Dell windows xp reinstallation disc with the computer. Instead, it came with instructions that said to go to the restore icon on my desk top if I need to retsore/repair the widows software, or go to dell website to request a cd. Now what?

Also, is this how I am supposed to reply? (email reply to you-or start a new thread?) I am new to this forum, and haven't quite figured it out.

To:
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2012 8:50 PM
Subject: Re: we apologize...windows did not start successfully

Re: we apologize...windows did not start successfully

Replied to by RoHe

Glad we got the diskette seek failure fixed!

For this other problem, reboot and press F8 before Windows starts to load. Select "Last Known Good" from the menu. If that works and you get to your desktop, shut down normally and reboot normally.

If not, reboot from your Dell Windows XP Reinstallation Disk. Press R at first screen to launch Recovery Console.

At C:\ prompt, type in:

chkdsk c: /r

Press Enter and go take a nice long nap.

When it's done, remove the CD and reboot normally. If that doesn't help, you'll probably have to do a Repair/Reinstall of XP which requires that the CD have exactly the same version of Windows (eg, Home, Pro, Media Center) and same Service Pack (eg, SP3) as is on the hard drive.

It is just a dell dimension 9100. I copied down all the bios settings prior to removing the battery, and checked them after I replaced it. They did not change.

To:
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2012 9:00 PM
Subject: Re: we apologize...windows did not start successfully

Re: we apologize...windows did not start successfully

Replied to by RoHe

BTW - Exactly which "9100" desktop is this?

Dimension 9100 or Studio XPS 9100 ?

When you pulled the battery, you reset BIOS to factory defaults, so it's possible there's another BIOS setting that needs to be changed to allow Windows to boot, the same way you had to change the floppy diskette drive setting.

25 Posts

July 28th, 2012 17:00

"P.S." when you refer to a floppy disc, do you mean the 3 1/2 inch hard plastic disc that used to go in the A drive of older computers?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 28th, 2012 21:00

"P.S." when you refer to a floppy disc, do you mean the 3 1/2 inch hard plastic disc that used to go in the A drive of older computers?

Yes, exactly.

Don't think you read the instructions for the SATA drivers very carefully. It says, quote:

Instructions for R99740.exe:

This is a self extracting utility and will extract its contents (Windows XP driver files) to a folder in the following location c:\Dell\Drivers\. You must copy the content to a floppy diskette. These drivers are only to be used at OS installation (operating setup time) time.

At the beginning of the operating system setup, press F6 to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver.

1.  When prompted, select 'S' to Specify Additional Device.

2.  When prompted, insert the floppy disk you created in step 2 and press Enter.

3.  At this point you should be presented with a selection for one of the following depending on you hardware version and configuration:

- Intel(R) 82801GR SATA RAID Controller
- Intel(R) 82801GR SATA AHCI Controller
- Intel(R) 82801FR SATA RAID Controller
- Intel(R) 82801FR SATA AHCI Controller

But if you don't have an internal floppy drive on this system, that leaves you with 2 options.

1. Omit the SATA drivers and use the hard drive in ATA mode. You'd lose the advantages of SATA file management but I don't think you'd notice

2. Slip-stream the SATA drivers into Windows as outlined in the wiki I linked in an earlier post and use the new CD that you'll create to install XP with SATA drivers.

25 Posts

July 29th, 2012 11:00

I mean I cannot use Step 2. Use Belarc Advisor,  because I cannot boot up my computer, and connect to the internet to download it.

25 Posts

July 29th, 2012 11:00

I cannot use this because I cannot boot up my computer, and connect to the internet to download it.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 29th, 2012 19:00

Just skip the part about using Belarc.

All that was supposed to do was show you product keys for the installed software (eg, Microsoft Office etc) that you'll need to reinstall that software. Hopefully, you have a record of those product keys written down somewhere and/or you have their original installation disk which should have the product key on the disk's envelope.

25 Posts

July 30th, 2012 13:00

You give excellent instructions, and I appreciate all the wonderful advice. However, I think the clean install is over my head. I'm going to wait until my son comes to visit for a holiday and let him do this, as he has done it on more than one of his computers several times in the past.  You are so kind to spend so much time trying to help others with their computer problems.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 30th, 2012 14:00

Sorry we couldn't get you running again, at least not right now. Hope your son can get this done for you soon.

Tell him to post here if he needs any help with the clean install. One of us is sure to help. Or maybe you can find a geeky 12-year-old in the neighborhood to do it for you before your son comes...  :emotion-4: :emotion-2:

25 Posts

November 21st, 2012 11:00

My son came to visit. When we tried to reload the windows from the CD again,it said there was no hard drive (but this time using Windows XP service pack 2) and after loading the necessary files from disk. So, he changed the SATA configuration from AHCI to ATA, and the system now recognized the hard disk and has booted into windows! Amazing!!!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 21st, 2012 12:00

Hi sk7480,

Excellent! Good to hear you're up and running!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 21st, 2012 12:00

Hi sk7480,

Excellent! Good to hear you're up and running!

No Events found!