Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 13th, 2011 10:00

webcam

I get the message that my webcam is not installed properly when I want to initiate a video chat.  It is a built-in part of my monitor and should be working.  I have had the computer for several years and never wanted to use the webcam till now.  Help!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 13th, 2011 13:00

Always include the PC model number and version of Windows in your posts!

8 Posts

October 13th, 2011 14:00

I have a Studio XPS 435MT with Windows Vista.  I keep getting the message that my webcam is not installed properly whenever I want to initiate or respond to a video chat, whether on AOL, Dell Video Chat or Skype.  It is a built-in part of my monitor and should be working.  I have had the computer for several years and never wanted to use the webcam until now.  Please help me.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 13th, 2011 19:00

If that's a Dell monitor, what model?

If it's part of the monitor, did the monitor come with a drivers CD? Did you ever install that driver? Maybe you need an updated driver because some Windows update broke the original driver?

If you open Device Manager is the webcam recognized?

8 Posts

October 13th, 2011 21:00

The monitor is a Dell SP2309W 23 inch Flat Panel Monitor.  I do have a Drivers and Documentation CD.  I don't think I ever installed it.  When I looked in Device Manager, I didn't see webcam.  Should I install the CD?  Is there anything I should know about installing it?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 13th, 2011 22:00

The SP2309W USB cable must be connected to a USB port on the rear of the Studio XPS 435MT. Then, load the SP2309W Driver and Webcam Application.

8 Posts

October 13th, 2011 23:00

If my monitor is working, doesn't that mean that the USB cable is already connected properly?  I don't remember getting any additional USB cables.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 14th, 2011 06:00

There is a TYPE A TO B Usb cable that goes from a spot underneath the rear of the monitor to the back of your pc via the USB ports.

8 Posts

October 14th, 2011 08:00

Thank you.  I have a cable like that.  But which end goes into the monitor and which into the pc?  Also, I can't tell where to plug in the cable in the back of the monitor.  Is it a specific spot on the monitor and/or on the pc?  Is there any way you can show me a diagram?  I basically have to feel my way around under the monitor.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 14th, 2011 08:00

The A connector (USB UPSTREAM PORT) is more round and the B connector goes to the PC.

Get a soft Towel and lay the monitor on it face down so you can see it.

Dell SP2309W Flat Panel Monitor - support.ap.dell.com

supportapj.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/SP2309W/

8 Posts

October 14th, 2011 09:00

I believe I successfully connected the cable.  Thanks.  Do I now install the Drivers and Documentation CD?  Will this make my mike work too?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 14th, 2011 09:00

Yes install the drivers from the CD that came with the monitor.  You should then be able to test with Yahoo Messenger or MSN Messenger or SKYPE etc.

8 Posts

October 14th, 2011 10:00

I believe I successfully installed the CD, but my mike isn't working.  Where do I find it to make sure it is turned on?  I won't know for sure if the video is working properly until I can contact  friend who has a webcam later today but I think it will be fine.  Thank you for all your help.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 14th, 2011 10:00

Set your device in regular way.

1.       Right click the icon of speaker at the right-bottom of your screen and choose recording devices.

2.        Click Microphone in the window, and then click Configure button.

3.        Click Set up microphone in the next window, and follow the wizard to configure the device.

The Mic is tiny holes on either side of the built in webcam.

Right click on the speaker at the bottom Right of your screen..

-- Click on the Recording Devices

A window Titled Sound will open

if there is no contents in the Sound window, Right Click

inside that window and then click on "Show Disabled Devices " ...

any disabled device mic/aux/Stereo Mix will then show up..

To enable one or the other Right click on the Stereo Mix and click on Enable ,

then

Right click on the device again, and Select "Set as Default Device "

if you do not see anything you have not installed the drivers correctly

Uninstall drivers, restart Windows then attempt to install the drivers again..

You can also, double click on the Mic/Stereo Mix (after enabled)..

a window will pop up...

Click on the tab "Levels " in the Stereo Mix to un-mute your Mic or to adjust the sound..

8 Posts

October 19th, 2011 14:00

I just got an audio message on my computer that it is not secure and to log on to www.msgsr.com.   It kept repeating itself.  Why would I get this message and is it REAL???  I have never experienced anything like that before.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 19th, 2011 17:00

Sounds like malware to me (no pun intended!).  Don't go to that link! Do you have a firewall runnng?

Run full scans with your antiviral suite, run free malwarebytes antimalware etc.

No Events found!