irs500
6 Indium

webcam

I get the message that my webcam is not installed properly when I want to initiate a video chat.  It is a built-in part of my monitor and should be working.  I have had the computer for several years and never wanted to use the webcam till now.  Help!

0 Kudos
16 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: webcam

Always include the PC model number and version of Windows in your posts!

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
irs500
6 Indium

I have a Studio XPS 435MT with Windows Vista.  I keep getting the message that my webcam is not installed properly whenever I want to initiate or respond to a video chat, whether on AOL, Dell Video Chat or Skype.  It is a built-in part of my monitor and should be working.  I have had the computer for several years and never wanted to use the webcam until now.  Please help me.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

If that's a Dell monitor, what model?

If it's part of the monitor, did the monitor come with a drivers CD? Did you ever install that driver? Maybe you need an updated driver because some Windows update broke the original driver?

If you open Device Manager is the webcam recognized?

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
irs500
6 Indium

The monitor is a Dell SP2309W 23 inch Flat Panel Monitor.  I do have a Drivers and Documentation CD.  I don't think I ever installed it.  When I looked in Device Manager, I didn't see webcam.  Should I install the CD?  Is there anything I should know about installing it?

0 Kudos

The SP2309W USB cable must be connected to a USB port on the rear of the Studio XPS 435MT. Then, load the SP2309W Driver and Webcam Application.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Technical Support (Desktops, Monitors, Laptops)
0 Kudos
irs500
6 Indium

If my monitor is working, doesn't that mean that the USB cable is already connected properly?  I don't remember getting any additional USB cables.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

There is a TYPE A TO B Usb cable that goes from a spot underneath the rear of the monitor to the back of your pc via the USB ports.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

irs500
6 Indium

Thank you.  I have a cable like that.  But which end goes into the monitor and which into the pc?  Also, I can't tell where to plug in the cable in the back of the monitor.  Is it a specific spot on the monitor and/or on the pc?  Is there any way you can show me a diagram?  I basically have to feel my way around under the monitor.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

The A connector (USB UPSTREAM PORT) is more round and the B connector goes to the PC.

Get a soft Towel and lay the monitor on it face down so you can see it.

Dell SP2309W Flat Panel Monitor - support.ap.dell.com

supportapj.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/SP2309W/

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos