leehrsn
1 Copper

Re: what kind of cmos battery to buy?

I'll get the right soldering iron for computers & give it a shot.   Thanks!

8 Krypton

leehrsn

You are welcome.

Good luck with the repair and please give us a feedback on the results.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

scracker
1 Copper

Greets, leehrsn. 

I don't visit this forum very often, so sorry for no reply before now.

I am no expert !!  However, I understand that you _can_ run a computer with no CMOS battery.  It would mean, you'd need to re-set the system time every time you booted up (or, the chronological data will be wrong). 

If you have a program that sets the system time, this wouldn't be a severe burden.  (I have an old one called "About Time".  Not sure if it's still available.)

Rgds.
   scracker
     n y c

K-infotech
3 Argentium

Out of interest, just how common is it for CMOS batteries to fail? I've had home computers that are 5+ years old without any battry problems, and even one where it was left powered down for a whole year that started perfectly. The only time that I've ever had this message was due to a known bug in a GX620 which caused it to report a battery problem when there wasn't one.

----------------
Second Start to the right, and onwards until morning.

Hanspuppa
3 Cadmium

I understand that you _can_ run a computer with no CMOS battery.  It would mean, you'd need to re-set the system time every time you booted up (or, the chronological data will be wrong). 

It would also mean that you would have to reset all the settings in the BIOS that may have been changed from the default setting.

I have had systems older than ten years with the original battery, and other systems just a few years old that have faulty batteries.

Just the nature of batteries I suppose.

Hope this helps.

8 Krypton

K-infotech

It's not common, but there's no set period of time for a CMOS battery to last, who knows how old the battery is, when it's installed on a motherboard.

I've had replacement motherboard batteries that need replacing in less than a year.  emoticon.Wink.title

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

HAFields
1 Copper

Just want to leave a note saying thank you for this post. Probably saved me a ton of aggravation as I'm about to buy a new battery and replace the old one. Delighted I found this post first.

Regards,

Howard Fields

8 Krypton

Just want to leave a note saying thank you for this post. Probably saved me a ton of aggravation as I'm about to buy a new battery and replace the old one. Delighted I found this post first.

Regards,

Howard Fields

That's great.    emoticon.Cool.title

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

solomita
1 Copper

I'm trying to follow these instructions but they don't seem to apply to my Inspiron 9400, and dell does not list a CR2032 replacement part for my 9400. In my case the battery has a plastic wrapping around it with two wires going into it, which connect to the motherboard directly. I haven't sliced open the plastic wrapping to see just how it works. Will it be obvious once I do?

Also I may be blaiming this on the CR2032 incorrectly. I've noticed a few times when the system clock came up off by a bit. This seems like a CMOS battery issue. But my main laptop battery has also decided to die at the same time, which makes me wonder if it's the cause. I'm getting the 1-3-5 pattern on the battery, and the laptop's charging light gives me 4-quick-amber-blinks followed by a long-green-blink.

Thoughts or advice?

Thanks!

-- Ethan

8 Krypton

solomita

This thread does not apply to Inspiron 9400 laptops, it is for Desktop systems, as is the forum.

A better place to post in, would be the Laptop forum HERE

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001