Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

December 23rd, 1999 13:00

why does my computer make jingling noises?

I just got my P3-500 a few weeks ago, and lately there are times when I hear a jingling sound coming from it - almost like an ice cream truck (or Santa's bells, even!). If there's nothing wrong, then I won't worry about it. But it does get annoying sometimes!

394 Posts

December 23rd, 1999 13:00

Hi Debbie,

Can you tell if this sound is coming from the tower or your speakers?

Kay

42 Posts

December 23rd, 1999 14:00

It comes from the tower.

394 Posts

December 23rd, 1999 15:00

Hi Debbie,

OK, sure, go ahead and do as Jaykar suggests: check your cooling fans. Possibly you can make an adjustment there.

Myself, though, I probably would call Tech Support on this--no jingling noise should be coming from the tower under ideal circumstances. It could well be a cooling fan issue, but even that will need fixing.

Be aware that they may ask you to power down the system, unplug the tower from the outlet, detach all the cords and cables from the tower, remove the main tower case cover, then reconnect the power cables so that you can power back up, have the system running, then try to localize the noise to a specific device. The directions for removing the cover are in your Dimension Troubleshooting Manual that you got with the system. Be aware, but don't do it until they ask you to do so, OK? Under no circumstances do you ever remove cords & cables plus cover with the system on--ever. I say this because evidently one person who posted was asked to do this--you can so totally fry your system that it isn't even funny. If possible, have a grounding strap to wear while you are fooling around inside the tower; otherwise, just keep one hand on a metal part, such as the riser bar and work with the other hand.

Good luck, and let me know how this works out, OK? This is no time to lose a system, with Xmas 2 days away. E-mail's in my User Profile.

Good luck,
Kay

394 Posts

December 23rd, 1999 16:00

Hi Jaykar,

I certainly respect your experience and idea--it's what I would do. The difference is that I do not know what Debbie feels comfortable doing, and I don't suggest entering a case if I don't know for a fact that someone knows the basics of equipment safety, and feels comfortable with doing this job. Case entry is terribly risky if due consideration for static is not given--especially in the winter, when people have warm, dry air in their homes. Tech Support will assume the liability for Debbie doing this if she does it at their request--based on Forum rules, I don't, and neither does Dell, if it happens to go wrong, and she is doing it on our say-so. At that point, she is up a creek without a paddle, two days before Christmas.

In addition, while the problem may be a loosely seated fan, it might also be a bearing going out, or something in one of the other devices. In either case, Tech Support will need to get involved. That's why I told Debbie to try your idea, but be prepared for other eventualities, OK?

Hope this clears it up,
Kay

394 Posts

December 23rd, 1999 19:00

Hi Jaykar,

Forgive me for imprecise use of the English language. Of course, you did not tell Debbie to rip into the case. My use of the term "break the case" is akin to "crack the case": shorthand for opening the case and removing the cover. I will be more precise next time.

In addition, I do not use sarcasm in answer to questions at this forum, therefore, my use of the word "sure" was meant as agreement that Debbie can certainly investigate this possibility.

I stop here.

Kay

54 Posts

December 24th, 1999 01:00

Jaykar,

Kay is a very gracious lady and would never offend anyone.

The regulars, on this forum, are like a big family and are at ease with each other. That's why they put expression and personality in their Posts and Replies. Most newcomers catch on quickly and join in the fun. It's always nice to have fun while learning, don't you think? @:o)

Bienvenido y Feliz Navidad.

394 Posts

December 24th, 1999 19:00

Hi Jaykar,

It's all cool with me; use my e-mail if you have questions. I'll be careful with you, and you'll understand that if you have a question, I'll give it my best shot. After it's answered, I might have some fun with you, but it would never be sarcastic in nature--most of us are pretty gentle that way, OK?

Best of holidays to you and yours,
Kay

24 Posts

I'll second that. She is a benefit to all.

394 Posts

Hi JP,

I'm getting embarrassed, and red was never my best color, but thanks :)

Jaykar and I worked it out, so all is fine. It's sometimes difficult to communicate over nothing but keyboards, because you can't see expressions or hear voices. We'll do OK now.

Have the best of holidays--and I owe you an SE install now :)

Kay

394 Posts

December 25th, 1999 17:00

Hi Jaykar,

That is so cool--you were clearly good this year :) Remember, he with the most toys wins the game, so have a really good time with your coupon! I've got my own wish list going, so I'll see what your experience brings you, OK?

Have a great day,
Kay

11 Posts

December 26th, 1999 04:00

You guys are so damn courteous in this forum. We definitely need some fresh and inspiring adult language here...
Well, just kidding.

SpaceBear
No Events found!