Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

June 14th, 2007 17:00

wont load into windows

there was recently a big storm here and i was turning my computer off when the power went out and now when i turn it on it loads past the windows screen then freezes at a black screen and wont load any more.  my uncle looked at it and said i needed the drivers and utilities cd that came with it but i have been unable to find it after turning the house upside down.  i used the "request a backup cd" option from dell and they sent me the windows xp reinstallation cd but i dont think that will work for reinstalling the drivers.  is there any way to request the drivers and utilities backup cd also or will the windows xp cd work.  my uncle said that the storm hit the power supply or something.  Also my warranty expired last month so will i be able to get a drivers and utilities cd still and how?

thanks

Message Edited by sportsmaster on 06-14-2007 01:26 PM

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 14th, 2007 19:00

Reboot and press F12 before XP starts to load. Go to Utilities partition and run all the tests to make sure the hardware wasn't damaged. Then reboot and press F8 before XP starts to load. Select "Last Known Good" from the list. If you get to your desktop, reboot normally and you should be ok.

Assuming you know the model number of your system (or have the service tag number), follow this link to download the latest drivers for your system. You can do this on any working PC and burn the drivers onto a CD for installation on the problem system.

http://lt.dell.com/lt/lt.aspx?CID=18958&LID=430618&DGC=IR&DGSeg=DHS&DURL=http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c%3dus%26l%3den%26s%3dgen

If you're not sure what hardware was installed in the system so you can get the correct drivers, go here and enter your service tag number (sticker on the tower). It'll ID the installed video, audio, modem etc. Then you can use link above to get the right drivers:
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/en/details?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~tab=2&~ck=ln&lnki=0

Ron

Message Edited by RoHe on 06-14-2007 01:04 PM

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 14th, 2007 20:00

Hey Bev.
I like the new image of you! ;)

Ron

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 14th, 2007 20:00

sportsmaster

Try the procedures here to troubleshoot the system.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 14th, 2007 21:00

Ron.

Thank's, the hair saves on makeup, but is harder to groom. :) :) :)

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 14th, 2007 23:00

:D

1.5K Posts

June 15th, 2007 00:00

That's a cute kitty !

I've tried till I'm blue in the face and I just cannot figure out how to insert one. I've got a cute penguin too.....  Maybe I can ask my nephew to come over here and give it a shot....:smileyindifferent:
No Events found!