7- Thorium

RE: xps 400 processor

BIOS UPDATE is not optional. MUST BE DONE BEFORE CHANGING CPU.

The bios will require the copper heatsink or it will shut down solid amber almost immediately. Either processor works when all of the required steps have been done.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
noob2004
1 Copper

awesome, thanks and i'll give it a try! 

what you are also saying is that the heatsink that came with my computer is not sufficient? if so i will irder the one you recommended. 

i did repkace the cmos battery a week ago as well. maybe that did something to my bios. i just thought when i pressed F2 and it showed that i had the latest bios that everything was fine.  i will reaearch how to update the bios and make sure i do it correctly. thanks again.

0 Kudos
noob2004
1 Copper

i have the copper heat sink already. i just checked and its the same model you recommended

0 Kudos
noob2004
1 Copper

what also concermed me was that when i went to the dell website to update my bios it said it was for windows xp and i am running windows 7 pro 64 bit. guess that ill update regardless after i get off work or in the morning. thx

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

what also concermed me was that when i went to the dell website to update my bios it said it was for windows xp and i am running windows 7 pro 64 bit. guess that ill update regardless after i get off work or in the morning. thx

noob2004

This makes no difference.

The BIOS updates are independent of which version of windows that is installed.

Version A07 is the latest BIOS version and this was released in 1.16.2006.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/xps-400

Windows 7 64 bit is not a supported OS.

X64 versions of windows will not allow it to run.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/Product/xps-400?driverId=R144761&osCode=W...

Run the BIOS update utility from  DOS environment (Non-Windows users)

NOTE:You will need to provide a bootable DOS diskette. This executable file does not create the DOS system files.

1. Copy the file XP051A07.EXE to a bootable floppy.
  2. Boot from the floppy to the DOS prompt.
  3. Run the file by typing B:\XP051A07.EXE (where B is the drive letter where the executable is located).

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
rdunnill
5 Osmium

I think they're referring to which version of Windows the BIOS update can be run under. You do have the option of running the update from DOS, so not having XP will not be a problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
noob2004
1 Copper

hmmm.  i just want the fastest processor for this dinosaur. im loving learning about pc's and eventually will build when i am educated enough

0 Kudos
rdunnill
5 Osmium

You can DOS-format a USB flash stick and reformat it when you're finished. DOS-formatted flash sticks are how I update the BIOSes of my Dells (and I have several).

0 Kudos
noob2004
1 Copper

i see and thank u. any info or link on how to do that is appcreciate it.

0 Kudos