liascm
Not applicable

xps 420 power supply and motherboard upgrade

hi, i have a xps 420 computer and realise alot of grpahics cards are starting to come up and unfortunately due to the low end 375w power supply that is provided by dell, i wont be making any upgrade any time soon with this psu, so what i want to know is can i upgrade my xps 420 power supply, idealy to something around 600w, i was intrsted in the corsair 650tx, will a standard atx power supply fit and will it work(told by dell if i upgrade past 425w my motherboard will burn, also can i make a motherboard upgrade to something like a 650i motherboard.

thanks"

0 Kudos
1 Reply
contrvlr
5 Rhenium

Re: xps 420 power supply and motherboard upgrade

hi, i have a xps 420 computer and realise alot of grpahics cards are starting to come up and unfortunately due to the low end 375w power supply that is provided by dell, i wont be making any upgrade any time soon with this psu, so what i want to know is can i upgrade my xps 420 power supply, idealy to something around 600w, i was intrsted in the corsair 650tx, will a standard atx power supply fit and will it work(told by dell if i upgrade past 425w my motherboard will burn, also can i make a motherboard upgrade to something like a 650i motherboard.

thanks"

That's hilarious

Your existing psu can handle quite a variety of modern video cards without issue, no GTX 200 series or ATI X2's unfortunately.

As far as the psu, almost any standard ATX unit will fit, anything over 7 inches in length would pose a problem.

Motherboard, can't do it, an ATX board won't fit in a BTX case.

2nd attempt

Asus Rampage Formula

Q9650 @ 4.05

2x2 g Corsair Dominators

WD 640 Black

GTX 260 C216 @ 711/1533/1151

Antec TPN 750w