Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 7th, 2010 14:00

2 beeps on Bootup - Dimension8300 How to fix

I have a dell dimension 8300 desktop running XP Pro.

I have been getting 2 beeps at startup and i have to press F1 to continue the boot up all the time. 

What is this...and how can I fix it

Thank You Very Much

Suzzie

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 7th, 2010 16:00

Do you get any error notice with the F1?  Usually, if something is failing, such as the CPU cooling fan or a floppy disk drive, it will give you the F1 notice along with what device is failing.  Do you also get an optin for "F2" (to enter the setup).

There is no "2 beep" code listed in the Dell manual.  Also, there are diagnostic lights on the rear of the motherboard, have you checked these? 

HERE<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> is the manual and the beep code and diagnosic light listing.

15 Posts

January 8th, 2010 09:00

Hi Fireberd,

Thanks for your knowledge.

I DO get the F1 key all the time in order to continue.  I do get the F2 key and it brings me to the machine setup menu.  Boot sequence etc.

There is a line just before the F! and it says Bios Not Installed!  There is a Bios A07 earlier in the windows boot sequence...maybe the bios refers to the SATA card I have for 2 extra sata disks...maybe that needs its own bios...but that card says controller started.  And with the BIOS showing on the screen early in the bootup...i never thought that was an issue.

I have ABCD All green for the lights usually...after I press the F1 key   but earlier in the sequence I have all Green but D is yellow.  I have all my drives disconnected while im reloading windows at this point...could it be something with the boot order or something like that?

Thanks

Suzzie

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 8th, 2010 10:00

Remove the SATA card and then boot and see if you still get the error. 

I see there are some Promise SATA Controller drivers listed in the downloads.  If that is what you have, reinstall those drivers and see if that helps.  Click ME

No Events found!