Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 28th, 2010 01:00

3-way SLI nVidia GTX 280 Install questions

I have a DELL XPS 730 that came with the nVidia GeForce GTX 280 (1MB) GPU card.  I purchased 2 more DELL nVidia GeForce GTX 280 cards and want to install them.  I also have the SLI bridge.  I know how to put the cards into the slots after opening up the PC and attaching the SLI bridge, but my question is, do the 2 other cards need to have anything else attached?  The first card has cables going into the top of it (my guess that's the power supply for it), and then a small other wire/connector that'sin red and goes down to the motherboard of the DELL.

14.4K Posts

August 28th, 2010 06:00

You will also need the power connectors for the two new cards. The card requires one 6 pin and one 8 pin connector each. Hopefully your power supply has the necessary cables otherwise you will need a new supply

2 Posts

August 30th, 2010 12:00

Thanks DaveT50, yes the cables I found, and my PC did have the connectors that I can connect to.  What was a bit misleading to me was that IF, I used all 3 video cards in my PC, then I physically could not have a 4th card (sound card) because the video cards, although they take up 1 slot, are physically too wide, thus covering the empty slot next to it, so instead, I would have to use the DELL integrated sound chip on the motherboard.  I'd love to use my audio card as well. So this is an FYI/Caveat:  If you want a 3-Way SLI video card bridged setup, then you can only use the integrated sound chip on the DELL motherboard.  Else you can only use 2.

No Events found!