Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

May 1st, 2008 22:00

8200 Dimension put back original continuity chips (for memory slots)

I recently purchased  2 memory chips of 256 each for my 8200 but  after I put the chips in - the computer worked the first day but then my computer froze - tech support informed me that I need non ECC memory. So I took out the ECC memory and am returning it.  In the interim I am trying to put back the dummy memory chips (continuity) - does anyone know or can  you direct me to a photo of what way the continuity chips  are suppose to be facing because  I have tried to no avail and my computer's frozen state remains .All I want to do at this point is to get back to what I had! 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 1st, 2008 22:00

HERE is info from the Dell manual.  It may help you.

3 Posts

May 1st, 2008 23:00

Thank you! The pictures were helpful in confirming that I have put it back correctly .  However, the problem still exists - my computer booted up and when it gets to the WINDOWS XP page the cursor is frozen. Any ideas on how to  get my computer up and running again? Could putting the new non-matching with the old memory have caused this? 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 2nd, 2008 10:00

You are some things to try.  Press F8 at boot up and before Windows starts.  You will get a windows with several options, one is to start Windows in Safe Mode and you can try that to see if it will even get to safe mode.  Another is the last known good configuration and you can also try that. 

Memory shouldn't have caused the OS to do anything funny.  Check all the internal cabling so make sure nothing was accidentally disconnected or partially disconnected while you were inside the PC.

3 Posts

May 2nd, 2008 21:00

I booted it up holding the F8 key and started it in Safe Mode and within seconds the entire screen was filled with I guess the various parts of the system the first one was: 

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2) 1 Windows/sytem 32 

when that went away (quickly) the Windows window appeared still frozen. I had already tried the last known configuration with no luck. 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 3rd, 2008 09:00

If it's not a hardware issue, it sounds like Windows may have been corrupted.  If Windows and/or the hard drive is corrupted for Windows you will need to do a Windows XP "Repair".  Repair is similar to reinstalling Windows except as the name implies it will "repair" what is wrong.  You boot with the XP install CD but instead of a new install, you select the Repair option.
No Events found!