Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 1st, 2013 07:00

AHCI BIOS update for Inspiron 530

Installed new SSD & large HD in four year old computer.  Latest Dell BIOS installed, but does not support AHCI.  Anyway to upgrade BIOS to support AHCI?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 1st, 2013 08:00

Which Model?  Which Bios Version?

Inspiron 530

Inspiron 530s

Inspiron 530

Inspiron 530s

BIOS - BIOS

Description Importance Version Released Supported OS Download
Dell Inspiron Desktop 530s System BIOS, Inspiron Desktop 530 System BIOS, 1.0.18
Inspiron 530/530s System BIOS
Recommended 1.0.18 3/11/2009 BIOS

February 2nd, 2013 08:00

My system is a 530 & already has BIOS 1.0.18 installed.  This version of BIOS does not support AHCI.  That is why I asked the question, anyway to upgrade BIOS to provide AHCI support.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 2nd, 2013 13:00

My system is a 530 & already has BIOS 1.0.18 installed.  This version of BIOS does not support AHCI.  That is why I asked the question, anyway to upgrade BIOS to provide AHCI support.

GeorgeSPatton

No.

Bev.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 5th, 2013 10:00

You can install a card.  Then install drivers for the card.

Then turn off the onboard SATA and switch to a PCI-E x1 card.

HighPoint Rocket 620 PCI-Express 2.0 x1 SATA III (6.0Gb/s) Controller Card

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

The Rocket 600 series are the internal and external low-cost SATA 6Gb/s host adapters. They are fully industry standard AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface) compliant and deliver Out-of-Box Ready installation for numerous operating systems. The Rocket 600 series is backward compatible to PCI-Express 1.0 technology and SATA 3Gb/s and 1.5Gb/s devices. They use the same cable and connectors as previous SATA generations to ease integration.

1 Message

June 3rd, 2014 23:00

I know this is an OLD post but, if anyone else is interested in getting ahci to work on this machine, just use the raid option. I did and it works ok, just takes a couple of seconds longer to boot.

I did the update of the BIOS to the 1.018 after I had installed win 7 and this setting allowed me to use the ahci setting.

1 Rookie

• 

163 Posts

December 6th, 2015 11:00

I know this is an OLD post but, if anyone else is interested in getting ahci to work on this machine, just use the raid option. I did and it works ok, just takes a couple of seconds longer to boot.

I did that but am only seeing Raid in Device Manager, not any ACHI device/driver.  In another thread someone apparently came up with a BIOS for this hardware that worked, but that info is gone from the internet.

The performance increase is minimal in my testing - though better.  The greatest improvement is in random seek.

No Events found!