Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 16th, 2010 07:00

ATI HDMI Output - "Not plugged in"

I hope someone can help me.  I seem to be having a problem with my sound card.  Basically what I was trying to do, was use an audio editing program to record sound from a website.  I just used the same  program 3 days ago to do that very thing, and it worked fine.  This morning, I tried doing it again, but for some reason, I can't record. When I click to record, I get this error message:  "Error opening audio device for input.  Bad device ID".  This was happening with all my recording programs, for audio and video.  

When I went to the control panel, and opened sound, on the playback tab it says that my ATI HDMI output is not plugged in. On the recording tab it tells me that my microphone and 'line in' Realtek High Definition Audio are also not plugged in.  What I don't know is WHY.  Everything was working fine just a few days ago.  Why would it be telling me now that everything is 'not plugged in' and how do I fix it??

HELP :emotion-6:

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 16th, 2010 07:00

First, you need the "System Mixer' selected as the Default Recording Device in order to record audio from the Internet.  The system is correct in telling you that the mic and Line In are not plugged in as you do not have anything connected to those ports.  Same way with the HDMI OUTPUT in the Playback, if there is no HDMI cable connected it won't be plugged in.  Unless you are using the HDMI, you should have your Speakers set as the default playback device. 

Select the System Mixer as the audio source in your recording program and it should work OK.

5 Posts

January 16th, 2010 08:00

First, I do have a microphone plugged in..why would it say it's not?  Also, until this very second, I had no mixer of any kind listed in recording devices.  Checking just now, I have Stereo Mix listed, and was set to disabled.  I've enabled it and it's set as the default.

Second, I don't know anything about an HDMI cable.  On the HDMI Output Properties page, it says under jack information, that it's a digital jack...does that mean anything..?  Everything was working fine 3 days ago, and nothing has been touched since then. 

Also, my speakers are set as the default playback device, and I have no issue listening to audio though the speakers.  I have sound..I just can't seem to record sound, or video.  I tried searching Google for an answer to this problem, and I found alot of threads all with the same problem of the HDMI coming up as unplugged.  Only difference is none of those people had any sound at all, and I do.  Until I opened my recording program, and hit record, I had no idea there was anything wrong.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 16th, 2010 10:00

The stereo mix should take care of the recording problem.

Why it's not detecting the mic ???  The HDIMI is a digital composite - both video and audio that can be used with HD TV's. Normally that connection is on the Video card and can work two ways, either the audio for the HDMI is built into the video card or it gets it from a digital S/PDIF connection on the motherboard.   Without the PC model number and what video card you have I can't say exactly how it's supposed to work or be set up.

However, since all the problems recently happened, did you install or uninstall anything?  Also, use the System Restore and restore the PC back to a date when it did work, this will usually fix system problems such as this.  System Restore can be accessed from Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools.   System Restore will not delete any user data or e-mails, but any programs or program updates that were installed (or uninstalled) will have to be done again.

5 Posts

January 16th, 2010 11:00

I have an Inspiron 545S, running on Windows 7 Premium 64-bit and the card I'm using is an ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series (specifically, I think it's a 4350 512 MB), but that's how it's listed in Device Manager.

The stereo mix has fixed the recording (thanks to you).  I went looking into the system restore, but it only lists two dates..this past Wednesday and then Thursday both set after a critical windows update.  That update would be the only thing that's changed since the last time everything was working properly.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 16th, 2010 15:00

The HDMI cable not plugged in has come up in the past.  I don't recall if it was ever really identified.  Install the latest ATI driver for your video card and see if that helps that part.  ATI Drivers

The part about the mic, two things to try (1) Uninstall the Sound in the Device Manager then restart the PC and when Windows starts it will detect and reinstall the sound.  If that doesn't fix it, reinstall the Dell sound drivers.

5 Posts

January 17th, 2010 04:00

I download the driver yesterday, installed it, rebooted..and it still says unplugged. :emotion-6:

I'll try what you suggested for the mic.  But at least, you've been able to help me with the main reason I came here..recording sound off the Internet.  Thank you so much, firebird  :emotion-2:  You've been a big help!  

No Events found!