Highlighted
shelquis
Silver

Adding USB 3.0 Ports to Inspiron 620

Hi. I plan to get a new external drive with USB 3.0. I'm told that I need to add a USB 3.0 card to a PCI Express slot (if I have one). Does my Inspiron 620 have a PCI Express slot? I was told to take off the cover and check. Problem is....even when I take off the cover, I don't know what I'm looking for. Can someone tell me is the Inspiron 620 has a PCI Express slot, and how to identify it? Also, was the basic information correct, i.e. in order to use the USB 3.0 capability of a new external hard drive, I'll need to install a USB 3.0 card. Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies

RE: Adding USB 3.0 Ports to Inspiron 620

Hi shelquis,

There are three PCI Express x1 slots on the motherboard of Dell Inspiron 620. Please find the three slots highlighted through Red indicator in the picture below.

0 Kudos
Mary G
Diamond

You have 2 pci express slots (pci x1 and x16) but those might be already filled with something else--video, network card. Manual is HERE with pictures of the slots. Some usb3 cards need an x4 pci express slot--so be sure to get one that matches your available slot. You also might need an extra power connection to your PSU and enough power to run it. Read the info here everything USB  Size of the card is a consideration too.

IMO it is not worth the extra expense to add usb 3 capability. Buy a usb 2 drive instead. You probably won't notice much difference on an inspiron 620 and you can use it on other computers.

0 Kudos
shelquis
Silver

Hi Mary.I saw you provided a link to a photo showing where the PCIe slots are. But, unfortunately, I can't get the link to work, Can you please resend the link to the photo showing the Inspiron 620 PCI Express slots? Thanks

0 Kudos
RoHe
Diamond

If I can add my 2-cents...

Buy a USB3 external drive. It should be backward compatible with the USB2 ports in your current PC, and will be able to take advantage of USB3 if / when you upgrade to a new PC in the future.

The only caveat is you may need an inexpensive USB "Y"-cable. It connects the external drive to 2 USB2 ports on the PC so it gets adequate power.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos