Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 10th, 2008 11:00

Alert! Previous shutdown due to thermal event

System : Dimension 3000 Hello, i'm having a problem with my Mother's computer. It is shutting down (completely powering off) and will not come back on for several hours, sometimes days. When it does power back on, before booting into windows, i get an error message that reads: Alert! Previous shutdown due to thermal event. I do not know what the problem is, both the case fan and power supply fan work properly and i have removed all of the dust from inside the case, including from the cpu heatsink. The case is not missing any expansion slot covers either. When i check the logs in the bios nothing is showing up at all. The computer is out of warranty and i'm stuck on what to do? thanks.

4 Posts

December 10th, 2008 13:00

hello and thank you for the reply.

yes, the front air intake panel is clean.  i cleaned it when i removed the dust using a vacuum and compressed air yesterday when i went home to my parents house to look at this issue.  apparently it has been happening for awhile now, at least 2 weeks or longer but they just notified me of it.

yes the heatsinks were firmly seated and did not wiggle or move when i cleaned them

i'm stumped!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

jholty

Have you checked, that the front panel air intake is clean?

Open the case and check that both the processor and chipset heatsinks are still firmly attached to the motherboard.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

jholty

Try clearing the 'Event Log' in the system setup [BIOS] and see what happens.

Start the system.
Press 'F2' to enter System Setup.
Highlight 'System Event Log' and press the 'Enter' key.
Highlight 'Clear System Event Log' and press the 'Enter' key.
Press the 'Esc' key twice to restart.

See HERE <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Bev.

4 Posts

December 11th, 2008 04:00

I will do this ASAP.  I don't live with my parents so it may take a day or two for me to get over there.  I will report back with my findings.

4 Posts

December 19th, 2008 07:00

i have no idea how, but the computer has stopped overheating and shutting down.  i have no idea what fixed the problem.  i have been too busy to go over there and get the bios logs so i don't know what she did to fix it.

799 Posts

December 19th, 2008 07:00

jholty, Have you checked, that the front panel air intake is clean? Open the case and check that both the processor and chipset heatsinks are still firmly attached to the motherboard. Bev.

Hello jholty, I suggest that shesagordie's recommendation to clean the system, is why the computer stopped shutting down due to an overheating condition.

This is a common issue on many systems with a few years of operation.

Thanks for the reply that the system appears to be working normally now, as it may be helpful information for others that may experience this same or simular issue.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 19th, 2008 11:00

i have no idea how, but the computer has stopped overheating and shutting down.  i have no idea what fixed the problem.  i have been too busy to go over there and get the bios logs so i don't know what she did to fix it.

Happy to hear that the problem is resolved.   :emotion-2:

Bev.

1 Message

June 8th, 2012 11:00

Worked for me, you are a genius!

Thank you.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 8th, 2012 12:00

loch1

:emotion-21:

Bev.

1 Message

September 23rd, 2015 16:00

How do you check and clean the front panel air intake?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 23rd, 2015 22:00

How do you check and clean the front panel air intake?

luciddestinyy

If it's a desktop, you remove the front Bezel/panel.

Bev.

1 Message

February 18th, 2016 10:00

Hello All- 

Hoping someone can assist.

For some reason after hitting F2 and entering system setup, I am unable to find System Event Log????

Please advise

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 18th, 2016 12:00

Hello All- 

Hoping someone can assist.

For some reason after hitting F2 and entering system setup, I am unable to find System Event Log????

Please advise

dbscu

What is the computer model and the version of windows that's installed?

Bev.

February 10th, 2017 18:00

Can't find the system event log. (Dell 2400) can't keep the system on for more than a minute so I don't know if it has anything more than Windows XP

No Events found!