Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 25th, 2017 13:00

All USB ports stopped working

I have a Dell 8700 and during a session loading music from iTunes, all USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports stopped working.  I tried rebooting and powering down and pulling power to no avail.  When I boot the computer, the lights on the Logitech keyboard/mouse wireless controller go on but as Windows 10 starts, they go off.

I can work with the computer because I have TeamViewer running.

I have a Dell 8700 running Windows 10 (Creators update). While transferring music to my ipad all USB ports suddenly stopped working, USB 2.0 and 3.0. I tried rebooting, shutting down and unplugging power for an hour but no help. I have a wireless Logitech mouse/keyboard. When powering up, the lights go on on the wireless controller until Windows 10 starts booting and then they go off.

Any ideas on what the problem is? No yellow dots next to any of the USB items in the device manager.

I have a Dell 8700 running Windows 10 (Creators update). While transferring music to my ipad all USB ports suddenly stopped working, USB 2.0 and 3.0. I tried rebooting, shutting down and unplugging power for an hour but no help. I have a wireless Logitech mouse/keyboard. When powering up, the lights go on on the wireless controller until Windows 10 starts booting and then they go off.

Any ideas on what the problem is? No yellow dots next to any of the USB items in the device manager.

June 26th, 2017 07:00

As I mentioned, the ports power on with the computer but turn off when Windows 10 boots.  The solution I found was to change the settings in Device Manager so the USB Root Hubs power settings do not allow Windows to manage USB power.

June 26th, 2017 04:00

Hi GR8BigCheese,

Thank you for writing to Dell Community Forum.

Please update the BIOS, chipset drivers to the latest (if possible) from the Dell support site.

Can you check in device manager if you have any symbol(!) on devices listed?

Please click my DELL-username and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your email address.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

June 26th, 2017 11:00

Reboot and immediately press F2. Can you get into BIOS setup? If you get into Setup and can navigate around (DON"T change anything), then you have either a hard drive or a Windows software issue.

Exit setup, reboot again and immediately press F12. Look for the option to run the diagnostics and run the extended hard drive tests. Copy down error messages, if any.

If HDD passes with no errors, then you will probably have to boot from a bootable DVD and repair the Windows installation on the HDD.

No Events found!