Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 22nd, 2013 01:00

All audio devices showing up as one

I want to play different audio on different devices. For example, I would put a Skype conversation through my headphones while having a video play through my speakers. Also, the speakers are using the 3.5mm audio jack on the top of the case while the headphones are 5.1 surround using the ports on the back panel. However, when I have them both plugged in, they only show up as one device. Previously on other computers they would show up as separate devices such as "Headphones" and "Speakers". This makes me unable to split up the audio that goes to each of the devices. Also, I can't configure them differently and have my speakers playing stereo while my headphones are 5.1 surround.

How can I get my computer to detect the two devices (5.1 surround headphones using the back panel ports and stereo speakers using the front/top 3.5mm jack) as two separate devices?

Specs:

• Dell XPS 8500
  • Intel i7 3770
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
  • Realtek High Definition Audio (version 6.00.0001.6873)

Also, although not as important as the previous question, how can I replace my Dell Audio manager with the Realtek HD Audio Manager? I've found that the official Realtek program has significantly more options when it comes to managing the audio that comes out of my devices as opposed to the limited options Dell allows us. I've tried reinstalling the drivers using ones downloaded from Realtek's website but I still end up with Dell Audio.

Thanks.

• 

3.3K Posts

September 29th, 2013 07:00

Hi brannson,

Thank you for the screen shot. The system is working as per design. You may supplement with an USB audio jack for stereo speakers and then switch between headphones and speakers via sound properties.

• 

3.3K Posts

September 22nd, 2013 06:00

Hi brannson,

Windows vista, 7 and 8 operating system has the option of selecting one audio device at a time. It is the limitation of the Operating system.

7 Posts

September 22nd, 2013 16:00

Even if I can only select one at a time, I would still like to have them show up as separate devices when I plug my headset into the back and my speakers into the front. That way I can listen to only my speakers by disabling my headphones without having to unplug the wires every single time. Would the fact that I'm using a 5.1 headset on a 7.1 sound card be the problem that is causing Windows to not be able to detect my headphones as a separate device from the front 3.5mm jack?

• 

3.3K Posts

September 23rd, 2013 08:00

Hi brannson,

Let me know the headphone and speaker model to check and assist you further.

7 Posts

September 23rd, 2013 14:00

The speakers are the JBL Spyro that use the 3.5mm jack in the front and the headphones are the Coolermaster Sirus S that are 5.1 surround and are plugged into the back panel.

• 

3.3K Posts

September 25th, 2013 05:00

Hi brannson,

Thank you for providing the requested information.  Please provide the screen of the Audio properties window to assist you further.

7 Posts

September 26th, 2013 19:00

Here are pictures of my Sound properties and a picture of my Dell Audio properties. The first two pictures show the devices that were detected by the computers. The third picture shows the jacks that are being used. The "Front Speaker Out", "Back Speaker Out", "Center/Subwoofer Speaker Out" and "Mic In" jacks are being used on the back panel by the Coolermaster Sirus S headphones while "Line In" and "Side Speaker Out" are left unused. In the front panel, the "Front Speaker Out" jack is being used by the JBL Spyro speakers.

Thanks

February 11th, 2014 22:00

I would say this question is totally NOT answered properly I too recently purchased a DELL and I am ticked off, I do not want to use the dell audio manager I want to use the REALTEK HD AUDIO MANAGER so that I can have my front audio out jack and rear audio out jack play two different streams simultaneously however this option is not available with the dell audio version and so I tried to uninstall the audio driver completely and reinstalled from the realtek website only to have the same  <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> dell audio manager come back which i do not want since I cannot achieve the same result, for instance I have headphones plugged into front jack and speakers in rear jack, I want those to show up as two different devices as they should with this particular realtek audio card, but somehow dell has disabled me from doing this with their version of the software and it cannot seem to be removed yet, I am working on a solution to your problem as it is also annoying me, if anyone reads this and has a solution pllllllllllllllease let me know, it is apparant that the support from dell is not going to help with this issue, or they do not fully understand what he is asking.

2 Posts

April 28th, 2015 20:00

It looks to me like Dell is dodging this issue completely. I am also desperately looking for a solution to this exact problem. I was hoping that a third party had made some software to enable and disable the front audio jack but have not found anything yet. I am not sure why they force the use of Dell Audio which does not have all the features of Realtek Audio Manager. 

If anyone has a work around for this problem please post!

No Events found!