Highlighted
IanLaity
Copper

Asset Tag

There used to be a file on the Dell website called asset.com which allowed you to enter the asset tag id into bios. Any ideas where I can get this file ?

Ian

0 Kudos
18 Replies
DELL-Stephen S
Platinum

RE: Asset Tag

Ian,

Thank you for visiting DELLTalk.

You can download a Dell System Utility package that has the Asset.com file for setting the tag ID in BIOS. This file can be downloaded here.

0 Kudos
kiy
Copper

Re: RE: Asset Tag

I'm looking for a utility that can retrieve the asset tag number from the BIOS and store it in a text file.  The ASSET.COM only works when booted from DOS.  We're hoping to use this during a user's login in order to capture the service tag for inventorying, connecting to the computer and user names at the same time.  Ideally, it should be able to redirect its output to a file.  Thanks.
0 Kudos

Well, if you want the service tag, there is an app named SM_INFO.EXE that runs in Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 environments.

http://eliteguy.nowinbeta.org/phpscripts/download.php?site=2&file=SM_INFO.EXE

0 Kudos
kiy
Copper

Thanks!  That's exactly what I was looking for. 
0 Kudos
montm
Copper

Started using this resently to autocapture the service tags as we put new systems on our network via a MSIF driven unattended process.  Developed the script below to capture/isolate the service tag into a variable for later conditional processing, and thought others might find this useful.  Script assumes Dos 6.22.  Requires change.exe from/complements of MSIF process.

<< SERVCTAG.BAT >>

@echo off
::Gets Dell Service Tag into Variable
:: Blame Mont McCathern
:: 20031002
cd\
cd temp
asset |find "Service" >get.bat
change get.bat Service Set
type get.bat |find "Set" >settag.bat
call settag.bat
FOR %%a in (*.) do SET SERVCTAG=%%a
echo set SERVCTAG=%SERVCTAG% >>a:\temp\vars.bat
del ?et*.bat
del %SERVCTAG%
cls
exit

0 Kudos
Robert97
Copper

Is there another source for the SM_INFO.EXE utility? The link mentioned does not seem to work.
0 Kudos
DELL-Cody
Platinum

This thread appears to contain a link to the information you require.
0 Kudos
Robert97
Copper

Thank you!
0 Kudos
rrosen
Copper

Re: Asset Tag

The link in message 2 above takes you to the general download section. I don't see anything called system utilities in the download section. (When I use my system utilities and drivers CD, I can't find anything related to asset.com either.)

What am I missing?
0 Kudos