Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

November 28th, 2012 05:00

Auto detect analog input, entering power save message on my monitor screen, desktop DELL Dimension C521, pl. help

dell monitor says auto dtetect analog input, monitor is blank.

what do i do?

thx in advance for any suggestions

the last thing tht my son did on it before it went into power save was he used his USB wire and downloaded some itunes onto his phone

i love my old DELL desktop, use it for simple tasks,  take real good care of it, and want to keep it running.

Note:  I tied the suggestion but it did NOT work.  Need more troubleshooting suggestions please.

OS is vista

thx

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 28th, 2012 05:00

Hi ckk0513,

Power save just means the monitor is getting no signal. So either the computer has gone into hibernation or it has shut down. Did you try starting it up using the power button? Did you check the four diagnostic light for any indication of a hardware failure?

12 Posts

November 29th, 2012 03:00

hi osprey4, which are the 4 diagnostic lights i should check?  All the inside lights seem to be on. thx for asking. pc powers up ok but goes immed into powersave

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 29th, 2012 04:00

The diagnostic lights are explained in this section of your manual.<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

12 Posts

November 29th, 2012 10:00

i CANNOT DO ANY DIAGNOSTICS COZ THE dell LOGO NEVER APPEARS!  JUST GOES STRAIGHT INTO POWERSAVE WITH A LOUDLY WHIRRING FAN AND THE MESSAGE ON THE MONITOR "Auto detect analog input, entering powersave.  I'll go ahead and double check those diagnostic lights, thx, sure don't want to lose my pc

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 30th, 2012 11:00

This is called a POST error, so you will not see the Dell logo and you cannot run the diagnostics. That's why they have the four lights to check.

December 2nd, 2012 17:00

remove all Usb devices except keyboard and mouse. Remove power cable and press and hold the power button for ten seconds. Connect the power cable again. Turn on the pc. Between your front Usb ports and sound ports you can see some numbers like 1234 lit up. Do post the numbers that are lit up. Try to Reseat the ram or memory cards.

1 Message

February 20th, 2014 09:00

lights 1 2 3 are on but light 4 is off.

1 Message

July 16th, 2015 18:00

I get a message auto detict analog and my screen goes black.  It is like it goes to sleep but I can not wake it up. I have to restart the computer.  It runs for about 1 hr then shuts down.

No Events found!