Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

August 18th, 2008 18:00

BIOS Problem Dell Dimension E310

Hi

I downloaded the updated recommended version for my computer. Then rebooted and now it beeps about six times and my screen is blank, I don't have any CDs to reinstall windows XP.  Does anyone have any ideas I can try when I get home?  Thanks

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 18th, 2008 21:00

Sadly, it sounds like the BIOS was corrupted by the update.  You say 6 beeps, but it's really some other sequence, like 1 beep, 1 beep, 4 beeps (6 total) or something similar.  This particular beep pattern indicates a BIOS checksum error (corrupted BIOS). 

If this is the case, the only recourse for a corrupted BIOS is to replace the motherboard. 

HERE is the diagnostic beep chart. 

August 18th, 2008 22:00

Thank you very much for your help.  I figured it was a major problem.

10 Posts

August 18th, 2008 23:00

I too have an E310.   I have been adding upgrades along the way, new video card, more RAM, Vista OS.  I looked at the BIOS updates that Dell 'Recommended'. The best advice I got was that you shouldn't upgrade the BIOS unless you are having a problem with a certain piece of hardware. Read what the BIOS allegedly is supposed to fix then make a decision. Tough choice, I know. But now you will have to pay Dell an awful lot of cash for a cheapo MB. Better off building a custom PC an use whatever parts you can from the E310. You'll end up with a better board and better support. Good luck.
Message Edited by bobpetro on 08-18-2008 07:16 PM

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 19th, 2008 09:00

I did a search for an E310 motherboard and didn't see anything, other than from Dell.

August 19th, 2008 13:00

It definitely is a total of 6 beeps, I am going to get a friend of my husband to check it and we are going to buy parts from Fry's, it will be a lot cheaper than buying from Dell.  Anyway, whenever I have called Dell for assistance for my machine, they were no help and I always ended up fixing the problem on my own.  Thanks for all your help,  have a wonderful day.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 19th, 2008 18:00

You can't use a non-Dell motherboard in that PC.  It's a BTX configuration, not ATX like almost all standard motherboards.  And, take note to what I mentioned about the Dell proprietary items and the fact you will need a Retail copy of Windows. 

You can "build" a new PC with a new motherboard, case, power supply and Windows XP CD and then try to use whatever from the 310, if the parts are compatible, but it may not be very much.   

10 Posts

August 20th, 2008 12:00

I feel your pain. I too gave up years ago on Dell Support. I started to read PC magazines and just get my hands in the machine and tinker. Then I learned how to fix almost anything. I have friends give me their machines to fix. They give a little something after I'm done but I feel good in knowing I helped them. You should be able to use the HD and CPU from the E310. You'll most likely have to but a heatsink/fan unit as the original unit has a unique mounting system. I bought a new HS/Fan unit and couldn't use it. Good luck on your new build. Oh, get a MB that has plenty of PCIe slots and RAM slots.
Message Edited by bobpetro on 08-20-2008 08:21 AM

August 20th, 2008 14:00

Thanks for the information, my husband has a friend who can build me another one, that was a waste of money.  I took a loan to buy this computer and now that I have finished paying the loan the computer isnt any good.  Oh well that's just life.  :smileyhappy:
No Events found!